Monday, November 12, 2007

It's been a month?

Milo and I took our morning walk in the dark this morning.  The sun had not yet shown it's self as we started down the driveway.  We made it to the fork and as we turned around the eastern horizon was ablaze with a layer of clouds.  We stopped at the flag pole and raised the flag.  We read the names on our list and paused to honor all of our fellow veterans.  I told Milo that I needed to post another entry.  He agreed.

It was a rather quiet Halloween in Sunshine.  The children's party went well, even though the road was wet and muddy.  The children enjoyed the games in the Sunshine school house and the hay ride through the Sunshine cemetery.  There had been a lot of talk about an adult party but it didn't happen this year.

I lost a good friend this last month.  My girlfriend, Chili died.  Chili was my neighbors gray horse.  She was 28.  I have been taking care of Chile when her owner, Holly went out of town.  She would trot down to see me when I drove up next to the corral.  I would climb the fence and walk across the corral to her stable.  As I did, she would walk behind me and press her nose up against my back, giving me a love tap.  Holly said I was the only man she would show any affection.  I will miss her.

Chili

I have been lucky enough to work out of my home office for the last three years.  On June 1st, my contract ended and I found myself unemployed for the first time in a long, long time.  I had forgotten what it was like to look for a job.  I has been hard on this ol' guy.  Nobody wanted to even interview an old fart with gray hair.  I applied at as many places as I could and frankly,it was really getting me down.  I found myself getting very depressed, feeling like I was worth more dead (life insurance) than alive.  I even ended a couple of relationships with some people I really cared about.  One evening I started thinking about someone who had carried me before when I was down.  I prayed.

Three weeks ago I started my new job.  I was hired to manage the Boulder Map Gallery.  It is a quaint store in downtown Boulder, not far from Mork and Mindy's house and the old New York Deli.  I love the job.  Here is the view outside the front of the store:

There is a small park with Boulder Creek running through it across the street.  It seems to be the meeting place for some of Boulder's unique characters.

Thanks for checking in.  I hope all is well in your neighborhood. 

Remember, There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.  - Ben Williams.

Smiles, David

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be tough venturing out looking for a job after working at home.  Congratulations on finding a job you seem to be enjoying.  Linda in western Washington state  

Anonymous said...

It was nice to hear from you again. Im glad you found a job you like..... hope it lasts a long while. didn't get the pictures so I will check in again later and see if they appear
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Your job sounds wonderful. I know what its like to suddenly be unemployed and the interviews, for me too, were rough. I totally understand. Your view is gorgeous....wow.
So sorry about the horse. She looked and sounded very sweet.
Be well,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

David,
I'm sorry to hear that Chili is no longer with you, but she'll be there beyond the Rainbow Bridge. You've done well getting that new job, ageism is a bad habit in some quarters. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about chili big hug vicky

Anonymous said...

It's like you are the Horse Whisperer.  To win the affection of a horse is the greatest feat.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/lattedah711/lattedah/    Tracy

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Chili.  
The job sounds interesting.  I love maps.
And the view is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

i am so glad you found a job:) yep prayer does work alls we have to do is ask him:) have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

David, I am so sorry to hear about Chili.  She really lived to a good old age, though didn't she?  I am really happy about the job.  I hope it continues to go well for you.  Is it really a map gallery?  I'd love to hear more about it.
Lori

Anonymous said...

David I am sorry to hear that Chili has died ~ I know you will miss her ~ you must have been proud that you were the only Man she showed affection to ~ Lovely picture of her ~ really glad you found employment ~ and what lovely views you have ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your posts.  I have never been to Colorado (or even out West), but I enjoy it vicariously through your blog.  Is there really a Mork and Mindy house?  Your new job sounds great.  Are you ex-military?  My husband is Air Force retired.  

Anonymous said...

First off I'm so sorry to hear of Chili's passing. It sounds like she truly loved your company. Second, I'm saying this as a friend and hope you take it that way. DON"T ever feel like you will be worth more dead. The life insurance could never equal the value of the man himself. Life isn't fair, that's a givend. All we can do is even up the odds with love. You have a loving family and friends that need you and appreciate you. I know what it's like to feel that cold hand of depression, I've been there myself. Trust me, we don't think right when we are under it's influence. Do me a favor please, you ever feel that low again, email me and we'll talk.
Congratulations on the Map Museum job, sounds perfect for you. Give Milo a pat on the head and tell him I said to look after you. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Prayer can go along way for us if we will just take the time, unfortunatly it seems like we have to get really down there before we do. I am preaching to myself ;) I love Colorado, haven't been there in a long time. My husband grew-up just outside of Pueblo.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found a place of employment, hopefully it's a fun atmosphere and your enjoying it! I'm sorry about Chili, horses are pretty special and I adore the way they communicate. Chili was beautiful!

It was good to see an update from you~
Take care now,
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Very sad to hear about Chili.  I am such a sucker for animals, and my heart always breaks for my friends and family when they lose a pet.  I had been job hunting myself recently for the first time in years, and I agree, it is a depressing experience,especially as we "mature".  Sounds like you found a good match, best of luck to you...

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new job, David!!!  It sounds great!!!  I am sorry about Chili... such a beautiful horse!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/