Sunday, June 1, 2008

Found ear ring and our hero, Butch

Yesterday was one of those days that is remembered for a long time.  Milo and I started out our walk as usual.  It was Saturday and Milo suggested that I fly the large garrison flag instead of the smaller 3' X 5' flag.  I agreed with Milo and we hoisted the much larger (5' X 8') flag.  Just as I was finishing, one of the neighbors stopped to say hello.  I lost my concentration and pulled a little too hard on the rope.  The rope became entangled and it was stuck.  I couldn't move it.  I was afraid the flag was going to fly high on the pole for eternity.  There were two more immediate issues.  The first was that the flag should not be flown after sundown unless illuminated.  I wasn't ready to stand out there with a flashlight all night.  I couldn't because the band was playing at Ruby's birthday party that evening.  The second issue had to do with Donna's memorial service.  Her service is today.  I usually fly the flag at half-staff for the morning and then raise it to full-staff at noon on the day of the service.  It is a hard thing to do with a stuck flag.  Butch came to our rescue.  This morning he leaned a 40' ladder up against the flag pole and climbed all the way to the top.  He freed the flag.  He is our hero.  Now I have to find a case of beer or a 5th of Beam for our buddy.

 

On our walk this morning Milo and I found an ear ring in the road.  For my Sunshine readers, please let me know if you know the owner.

Just another reminder about the Flap Jack Fling next Sunday.  It should be a beautiful Spring morning.

Smiles,

David

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phew three cheers for Buddy ,our hero ,I dont think the earring is one of mine ,thanks for asking ,lol ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Nope, not my earing !! (wink)

Have a great Night David.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

It's always wonderful to have friends come to the rescue :)I can't tell you how many earrings I have lost. It could be mine!

Anonymous said...

You know I'm not afraid of heights, but I think I would be hard put to want to climb a ladder leaning against a flagpole. Wonderful friends indeed. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

oh no glad you got it down and then back up:)

Deb