Friday, November 10, 2006

Morning walk - Veterans Day

 

C.O. Wheeler WW1  My grandfather

Milo and I started down the driveway this morning.  The air was cold, around 30 degrees, and the wind was strong, gusting at 40 MPH.  We made a quick trip to the flagpole and raised the flag.  Now that daylight savings is over, I have asked for some help lowering the flag in the evening.  I do not close my office until 5:30 and it is dark by then.  Our new neighbors, Brian and Megan, are lowering the flag.  I thank them for their time and energy.

My wife, Janice, her sister and father all left today for Socorro, New Mexico.  They will be attending the 27th Annual New Mexico Mineral Symposium this weekend.  Watch out...the boys are home alone!

I have mixed thoughts about veterans day.  I have very few pictures of myself in the Army.  Most of the ones I have were taken at home, with me in uniform.  This one was taken during basic training in Fort Leonard Wood, MO in July, 1966

 

I learned that you don't make friends in the Army.  The gentleman on the left and I did not keep in touch after basic.  I have now idea what happened to him.  Most of the people in my Basic Training unit were headed for Vietnam.  Those of us in uniform were not treated very well off post.  My neighbor, Col. Wain and I have reminisced about how difficult it was to walk through an airport in uniform.

I salute my grandfather, my father and my brother, Phil for their service to our country.  They were (are) brave, handsome men who did not shirk from their duty.

 

LTC Duane J. Wheeler, WW2, Korea, VietNam

If you see a veteran, say "thank you".  Give them a hug.  They deserve it.

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice entry! Happy Veterans Day!
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Your right, they do deserve it, very much. I grew up with a Military Father and I must say, I still couldn't be any prouder of the man he was while I was growing up, and the man he still is today, freshly retired. I do love that top picture of your Grandfather. It's a different military picture then I'm used to seeing.
Thank you for sharing with us today
Take care, keep warm~
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

We have a lot of service men in my family. My Grandfather served in The Korean war among others and it was very tramautic for him.  I am so gratefull for all that our service men and women do for our country!

Kara

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is, I made a lot of friends in the army. But I was in the Medical Corps (equivalent of). Here in the UK, we'll observe a 2 minutes' silence on 11/11 and hold the Remembrance Sunday ceremony this coming Sunday at 11 am.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful entry. Thank you to all our veterans on this day !

Take Care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Thank you:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

David, unfortunately during the era you served, veterans and soldiers were treated atrociously.  I'm seeing the trend changing which it should.  Honors to you and your family members and all who have served to continue to permit us to enjoy our freedom!  Chris

Anonymous said...

Sorry, you soldiers were treated so badly but thank you big hug Vicky

Anonymous said...

Great entry David.  My favorite veteran (my dad) has gone on but is in my thoughts this week.  Thank you to you and your family members for serving us.  Hugs and GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

It is sad David how badly veterans are treated sometimes... especially the ones in Vietnam!!!! We are what we are today because of the veterans who stood in the line of battle to fight for us!!!! They deserve our respect!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

I agree - veterans do deserve a thank you. I have the utmost respect for them.
Thank you!
Penny
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/pennys-pieces-of-ohio/

Anonymous said...

My son was nervous about the reception he would receive when he came home on leave from Iraq in the summer.  On the plane to Dallas he was fussed over by the airline staff.  His fellow passengers treated him like family.  The plane was greeted by a parade of fire engines, shooting a welcome arch for the plane to taxi through.  At the airport complete strangers went out of their way to thank him and shake his hand.
It should have been that way for ALL of our soldiers, past and present.
Thank you.
Dorn