Thursday, November 2, 2006

Jackson Hole and the Tetons

 

When Lewis and Clark made their trip across the North American continent, they went north of Wyoming, through Montana and Idaho.  They did not see the wonders of Yellowstone of the beauty of the Grand Tetons (named by the French Explorer and fur trapper, Jacque LaRamie...look teton up in the french dictionary).  After spending the winter at Fort Clapsup in Oregon, they started their trek back to St.Louis via the same route they took heading west.  On the return trip they split up and explored more of the western territory.  One member of the Lewis and Clark party asked if he could leave and explore on his own.  John Colter went looking for the head waters of the Yellowstone river.  He was one of the first white men to see Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons.  When he returned to the east he was called a liar when describing the steaming geysers and the boiling hot pools of water.

I have often called Jackson Hole one of the best kept secrets in the world.  There are many pictures taken of the Tetons but very little credit is given to the location.  The destination of many travelers is Yellowstone, not Jackson Hole.  The area is full of things to do. There is some GREAT winter skiing at the Jackson Hole ski area.  My neighbors, Steve and Julie have climbed the GrandTeton Mountain.  In the mood for a chuck wagon dinner?  How about white water rafting, canoeing, or horse back riding?  There is camping or 1st class hotels.  There are plenty of fine eating establishments and a few good bars. Jackson even has a great library.  Fishing in Jackson Lake or Jenny Lake is superb (the water is so clear, you wouldn't believe it)

 

My older brother, John, walking through the gate of the Chapel of Transfiguration.  (please check out this link)

 

Mt. Moran from Colter Bay, named after the famous western artist.

 

 

My Friend,Dr. Chris and our boys join me at Jenny Lake

I had mentioned to my friend, Dr. Chris (Oxford University) that most residents of Wyoming are only one person away from knowing most people in the state. (It's not hard when there is only one four year college in the state)  He thought I was joking until we took our vacation together to Jackson Hole.   He and his family stayed a couple of days after my family left and returned to Colorado.  Chris took his family to Yellowstone to see all of the wonders up there. He is a early riser and headed up to Old Faithful Geyser before the crowds of people arrived.  He noticed a couple of official looking people with clip boards near the geyser.  Thinking this might be a good point to see if I was speaking with a forked tongue, he approached the gentleman and engaged him in conversation.  He asked him where he was from and the gentleman mentioned a town in Wyoming,  His crew was recording the activities of the geysers.  Chris asked him if he knew David Wheeler.  The man thought for a moment and then replied, "no, but I do know a John Wheeler" (My brother).  We had a good laugh over that one.

 

Here fishy, fishy!

Well partner, that's about it for my travel log of my home state of Wyoming.  There is so much more to see and do.  The one thing to remember is that Wyoming has ninety of the most beautiful days of summer you can find.  Just ninety!

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,
try orderin' somebody else's dog around."

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry! Great pics too. :)
Hope you & yours have a lovely day David.
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Stunning scenery, thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely photos! Thanks for sharing all of this!

Amanda :)
http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/CountryMyKindaLivin
http://journals.aol.com/trickeytricky/dearamanda

Anonymous said...

great photos:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

I really want to come visit and see all this first hand. Great pictures too !
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Great pictures :) thanks for sharing Vicky

Anonymous said...

I'm in for the white water rafting!  But if we come to a big drop, I'll have to get out and walk around it. lol  Actually, I would love to visit the western half of the country.  I've never been west of Florida.  thanks for all the cool info.  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'd love to tour around out there.  Our family has talked about it.  We end up going to Florida though or somewhere close to here.  Thanks for sharing the info.
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Beautiful... I hope to see it myself someday.  Godly...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I'm in Idaho, and outdoor addict and know of many of the place you've written about. I love the pictures and commentary. I spend time in Yellowstone every single summer and it's always off the beaten path that I've found the most astounding beauty. Of course, Flyfishing doesn't hurt <which I do a lot of> to get off the cicle 8 and enjoy some quiet. I haven't explored Jackson Hole recently, but maybe next year on my tracks to Yellowstone I should swing through for a bit~~

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Those photo's and the scenery are just breathtaking!!!! I miss the mountains (Catskills of NY)sigh..........lol

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
Thanks for visiting my journal about Peggy.

You asked if I have other journals...I have a photo journal. I use a Nikon D-50.

I loved looking at your photographs! The vista's are breath taking!
We love Colorado and ski at Avon-Beavercreek.

My photo journal address:

http://journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/MARYLOUISESPHOTOSHOOT/

Mary Louise

Anonymous said...

love the history and pics.

jeane

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES
NOELLE

Anonymous said...

We love Jackson Hole & Tetons, but we have never rafted up there. When in <a href="http://www.aaainflatables.com/index.asp
">Colorado</a>, check out the  <a href="http://www.aaainflatables.com/links.asp?offset=10">Arkansas</a>, the <a href="http://www.aaainflatables.com/results.asp?xTID=201">Dolores</a> & the <a href="http://www.aaainflatables.com/results.asp?xTID=272">Colorado</a>.