Sunday, January 28, 2007

Round six

 

The flat Irons, west of Boulder

Now that the rest of the country has felt winter's icy finger, our round six does not seem to be such a big deal.  In fact the sixth weekend in a row with snow really was no big deal.  It left us with 3 inches of new snow, most of which was gone by Saturday evening.  We still have 30" to 40" on the ground.  We'll see what next weekend brings. 

I received an e-mail from my friend Chris, in Oxford, England.  He is really excited.  He has a son, Colin, who went to grade school, middle school, high school and Boy Scouts with my son, Nathan.  Colin has just been asked to study at Cambridge University.  We are all very proud of him. 

If you get a chance, go see the movie "Catch and Release" with Jennifer Gardner.  It was filmed here in Boulder.  See if you can find the Celestial Seasonings t-shirt.  The lead guitar player in our band, Steve, is employed by Celestial Seasonings.  Everyone in the company was invited to a private pre-screening.  Steve and Dee said they enjoyed it, although it was a little "hokey" in places.  Not everyone on Pearl Street Mall smiles and acts like they are high all the time; although I will admit, it is a fun place to sit and watch people.

Danny and Jenna invited a rather large group of friends over to their house on Saturday night.  They were hosting a Belgium beer fest.  It was a really good time.  There were people there from all over the US.  He kept the beer cold in his mine tunnel (stays 55 degrees in there).  People were asked to bring a Belgium food dish.  There was a fire going both in the indoor fire places and the outdoor fire pit.  As Janice and I left, we commented on how pretty the snow was with the moonlight sparkling on the snow covered ground.  It was 10 degrees and we didn't feel a thing.

My Father-in-Law has had enough of this winter weather.  He has finished working on our rental house and is heading off to Arizonain the morning.  He packed his golf clubs and doesn't expect to see any more snow this winter.  This will be his first time away since my his wife (my MIL) passed away.  I think he is a little worried about making the trip alone, but we know he will be all right.  The adjustment has been hard on all of us but we are getting through it, one day at a time.

Stay safe and remember not to spit your chew into the wind.

David

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, May your FIL have a safe trip. God Bless him.
We finally got a little dusting here in NY although its been real cold.
I love Jennifer Gardner  , will have to check that out.
Have a warm Monday!
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hope your FIL has a good trip. Still enjoying the snow up there?

Anonymous said...

good your fil is going away it will help him to be away for a bit I am sick of winter already too lol and we haven't had any real snow I don't think I could live in colorado lol :) v

Anonymous said...

I agree with FIL, leave the cold to the Polar Bears!
Have a good week.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all is good up in the mountains!  Praying for your fil to have a safe trip to the warm weather.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

lol dont spit your chew in the wind!
that is a beautiful picture i hope you guys are staying warm in that weather of yours!
we have about a month left in california then its off to indiana...i'm sure i will see some "real snow" there not the dusting we had out in socal...lol
hopefully not much though but not nearly as bad as you guys!
tell milo i said hi
take care
emily

Anonymous said...

Hello........

It is so nice coming to read your journal. We are definitely feel Winter's icy fingers here in Georgia pretty soon my fingers might just fall off from Hypothermia. Tell your friend Chris that I am proud of his son Colin I'm sure he is excited. I can't wait to see the movie "Catch and Release" with Jennifer Gardner I love her as an actress. I wish I was there in Colorado to visit you it would be nice to meet you in person I'm sure but work keeps me here. I too like your father-in-law have had enough of this Winter weather. I am longing for Summer. I would love to jump on a plane and head for warmer waters and temperatures that's for sure. Stay safe David. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
Beautiful photograph as usual. I hope that your friend's son will enjoy Cambridge university. I'll certainly look out for that movie. Thanks for posting all of your news,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine that much snow. You are right, if he comes to the Phoenix area he won't see any more snow.  However, I must tell you we did have a very light covering of snow in the Meas area about 2 weeks ago.  It melted very quickly but sure was a big deal on the news.

Anonymous said...

You make the cold weather sound so beautiful.  Your Father-In-Law will be just fine.  Arizona and golfing in the warm weather sounds good to me.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

Too much snow for me David!!!! I am NOT a cold weather person!!!!! Just give me sunshine and heat!!!!! LOL!!!!! Pretty picture though!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

David, I'm so glad your FIL has decided to make the trip.  I think a little warmth and golfing will help to lift his spirits.  Hope you all get some peace of mind.  Winter has finally hit my area with a venegeance.  I'm not complaining after I read about Co.  We have about 6-10 inches on the ground now.  Grizzly thinks it's heaven.  Hope you took a swig of that beer for me....Are you ready for the SuperBowl?  Chris

Anonymous said...

I went and saw Catch and Release, it was pretty good, and beautiful scenery.
I used to spend a lot of time in Colorado.......and have to say, I miss going there and the reason I used to visit~~
I hope your staying warm and unburied by the snow!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Having lived in Broomfield, I saw the Flat Irons many a day.  They are beautiful.  We lost my FIL in October.  It has been hard.  I am sorry still for your loss, I know what a big hole it leaves in your life.  Dad was my FIL for 28 years.  He is sorely missed.  Hugs and prayers going out to your FIL.

Blessings!~

Susan