Monday, March 19, 2007

Spring Skiing

 

A few years ago - Copper Mountain

Milo and I took our evening walk to retire the colors (take the flag down).  It was a beautiful evening with the feeling of spring in the air.  The birds are singing their songs and the snow is melting.  There is still snow that fell the 18th of December on the ground. I had to tell Milo about my love of Spring skiing.

I have been skiing for over forty years.  When I was younger I would brave the nastiest winter weather just to gently slide down the side of the mountain, carve nice turns and otherwise feel like I was flying.  Falling as I tried to unload off the chair lift was common place.  I seemed to get on the chair behind a beginner who lost all sense of balance when the boots were attached to the skis.  If you have ever watched a Warren Miller ski movie, you know what "you want your skis, go get em'" means.  Beginners always fall when they first try to unload (and so do the people behind them).  The binding throw and the skis come off.  The skis then get thrown out of the way.  If you want them, you go get them.

  As I have grown older, spring skiing has become the most favorite thing in life for me.  The wind is no longer trying to blow me off the chair lift.  The sun is high in the sky and the rays are warm.  The lift lines are shorter and there are fewer people trying to run me over.  I have been know to tote some wine, cheese and rolls in my back pack and look for a nice quiet cat trail.  Finding some sun, lean my skis against my poles and enjoying the company of my best friend, I would lay back and enjoy all of my surroundings.  One never knows when a cute blonde will ski by!

 

Ah.....Spring!

My favorite Ski area is Vail, Colorado.  It has some of the best power skiing in it's back bowls.

 

Game Creek Bowl...Vail

 

And then there is shopping in Vail village.  You can't see them but there are many places to enjoy apre'ski in the village.

Dan, David and Phil....3 brothers....top of the gondola ...Vail - Spring 197?

OK, Now that I'm feeling better about life, I had a pretty good scare this last week.  I was having chest pains again.  After my last "event" I wasn't about to sit back and wonder when I was going to have another "event".  Last Thursday I went in for a treadmill stress test.  I had my follow-up visit today.  The doctor is very happy with the results.  I don't usually talk about my health but I know there were some prayers being said in my behalf.  Prayers do work!  Thank you to all that prayed.

For those following the progress on the fire house, here's the latest picture.

 

S

FPD station #1 rebuild

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

David so what did the doctor say? why are you having chest pains? what can they do? i know lots of questions but i am worried about you. please be careful ok? Keeping you in prayer

Deb

Anonymous said...

David I am worried for you! I hope the docs can get the chest pains under control!  I have never been a skier... tried one time and had such a miserable time I never tried again. But then again I have never been coordinated or athletic in any way ha!

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

David, I cant believe you used my picture in your journal !!!  I'm blushing !
I sure hope  your ok, I wouldnt want anything to happen to one of my favorite male reader !!!
Be well my friend,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Spring is on its way, for sure. Wouldn't say so in my neck of the woods lol with the arctic blast of recent days

Anonymous said...

OK, I do dnot remember a blonde skiing by on that trail while we were sipping wine and eating cheese.  Or did I have too much wine that I missed her.  Hmmm.  And as for the chest pains, it was probably your search for that image that gave you those pains.  shame shame shame!!  Be well my friend.  There is a lake in North Carolina (along with your best friend) calling your name.  Gir er done!!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting entry, David. We were going along nicely, getting into the scene of leisurely slaloms and beautiful uncluttered spring outings with wine and cheese, and then I scrolled down to "maybe a nice blonde...." POW! what a surprise---the blonde, that is. Very cute---I had to laugh---you are such a cut-up! That picture of that "skier dude" from somewhere back in the 1970s; looks like someone I know, too!

  On a more serious note: I worry about you. I've been keeping your health and welfare in my prayers every day-----since school ended----but you know that. Still and always a prayer for you. WISHING YOU A LONG, HEALTHY AND HAPPY LIFE AND A GREAT GRANDPARENTHOOD---someday!   E.  

Anonymous said...

do you see many blondes like that on the slopes, lol?!
ttyl
em

Anonymous said...

great entry!  i saw a blonde like the skiing the other day..she looked a bit blue though...lol
hugs
noelle

Anonymous said...

David, I'm so glad you had the stress test done.  That is, by far, the best test to diagnose any type of heart condition.  I have them done every two years since heart disease is pretty heavy in my family.  Thankfully, mine are still fine.  Still keeping you in my prayers.

LOL...maybe the sight of that hot blonde set your heart off.  Love your picture from 197_...  Chris

Anonymous said...

Spring Skiiing sounds like fun.  I'd be on the bunny slopes.  I've never tried skiing.
What? No brunettes?  LOL.

Anonymous said...

HI DAVID!!   THANKS FOR STOPPING BY MY JOURNAL AND LEAVING A COMMENT.  HOPE YOU COME BACK SOON.  I LIKE HAVING NEW FRIENDS.

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND.....LIZ

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter:) did you get any snow? we did yuck i am ready for rain and sun:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

I've never really had any great desire to go skying. That blonde might change my mind!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

Does your wife know you put that picture in?  What picture you say?  You know darn well what picture, you naughty, naughty boy!!!!  Hee.........
Did I say how much I wanna come bacccckkkkk!  I feel I am going to DIE if I can't come back soon.  I miss it sooooooooo much.

Hugs and prayers,

Susan