Friday, August 11, 2006

Sneaking out of the house

This last week, I have been waking up before anybody in the house for an early morning rendezvous with my 28 year old girlfriend.  She lives about a half a mile away. I would climb out of bed around 5:30 in the morning, skip the shower and drive over to see her.  She would see me drive up and trot over to where I parked.  She is so full of love and affection.  She often nudges me from behind, sniffing my pocket for a scent of the delicious red apple I carry for her.

 

Chili and I have known each other for about 10 years.  When her owner leaves for vacation, I get to take care of her.  I give her oats, meds and fresh feed.  I sometimes hide the apple under the alfalfa.  She remembers that I like to hide her treat and knows right where to look.  Although she is getting old, she is still spunky and full of love.  It has been a fun week.


The Perseid Meteor Shower, an annual celestial event, returns to the night sky this coming week.  The moonlight will somewhat interfere with the view.

Perseid meteors
This chart shows how the Perseids might appear to a person looking northeast at 11PM local time in mid-August. The meteors will appear to radiate from the constellation Perseus, from which they get their name.

I have my 40th class reunion this weekend.  I am looking forward to seeing my cousins and a few close friends.  It's funny but, I really don't put much into class reunions.  There are about 300 people that I haven't seen or talked to in 40 years.  It's a group of people that had no influence on my life.  Those few that I have remained close to will be there, and that is worth the trip to Cheyenne.  It is only 2 hours away.  That will give me plenty of time to return home for Audie's Life Celebration on Sunday.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have a pretty old girlfriend
lol :)
i hope you have a nice time at your 40th reunion.
ttyl
emily

Anonymous said...

How sweet you are David...  I bet that horse just loves you! :)

Have fun at your reunion!!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

got me for just a minute until I realized you were talking about a horse; she's a beauty!!

my husband's 35th reunion is this weekend, he chose not to go although we are closer than we have ever been since the 10th reunion to where he graduated (San Diego area). He's like you; doesn't take much stock in them. I went to my 15th and that was enough for me.

Enjoy Cheyenne, though; hope its not too windy.

betty

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful horse:) becareful on the drive up to cheyenne and back. I haven't went to one class reunion. and i only stay in touch with one person. enjoy your weekend David

Deb

Anonymous said...

hey lol got me going for a minute nice horse. People from school never influenced my life either all the friends I do have I met elsewhere and still keep in touch with have fun at the reunion Vicky

Anonymous said...

Haha...I love how you twisted that around..lol!!

Stevie
:-)

Anonymous said...

You can always be sure that animals will love you no matter what!!!! Too bad people can't be that way!!!!! Great entry David!!!! Hope you have a great time at your reunion!! Hurry back and be safe!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

I always get my Skywatcher Alerts too, don't want to miss a thing happening in the cosmos.  Chili looks like a great pal, very dependable and loving.  As for class reunions, you couldn't drag me to one lol.  Serious part - many prayers regarding your loss, which is certainly Audie's gain to be a part of "everything" now.  God bless the family, CATHY

Anonymous said...

OH you devil you, thought we were going to hear some deep secrets, but glad its has 4 legs, and so pretty,  lol...... have a good time at the reunion, mine is coming up for 46 years, wow, a life time....... lol        DIANE

Anonymous said...

David you crack me up!

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

ROFL...David, I knew it was a horse before I saw the picture.  The apple gave it away.  My brother used to have horses and they would nudge for apples all the time.  Have a good one...Chris

Anonymous said...

Awww.. your girlfriend is gorgeous!!!!  

Enjoy the reunion... I feel much the same about them.

I pray that Audie's Life Celebration fills you all with peace.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are busy.  Your girlfriend is pretty.  LOL.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful horse!  A blue roan?
Lori