Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Busy weekends

 

My neighbor John and his collie, Sandy

What a gorgeous morning for a walk.  Milo and I left just as the sunshine was hitting the top of the flag pole.  The sky was a light blue as the sun rose in a cloudless sky.  We made the trip to the fork and returned.  Bob stopped the school bus and said "hi" as he threw Milo a treat.  Clouds will be moving in and there is a chance of snow tonight.  We are ever vigilant of bears.  There is a lot of bear activity as they prepare for their winter nap.

It's a busy two weeks for the folks in Sunshine.  Saturday and Sunday will be the annual Sunshine Arts and Crafts fair at the school house.  The hours are 10-4.  It will be damp on Saturday but Sunday is predicted to be a beautiful day. 

Saturday night (Sept 23) the band is playing at the Boulder Outlook Hotel.  It will be our first Saturday night gig.  We have a few new songs to play.  If it's anything like the past, we'll all have a good time.  I love it when the dance floor fills up with people having fun.

Next Saturday, Sept 30, will be the Sunshine Community Fest at the firehouse.  The event is the annual fund raiser for the fire department.  It's a GREAT event and a lot of fun. There will be food and drink and an auction.  It's fun to watch apple pies sell for $300. 

Saturday is also the Brewfest in Denver.  It's a Sunshine event because it is put on by one of our neighbors, Paul and his wife, Jean.  There are quite a few of our sunshine neighbors who brew their own beer.  The Brewfest is a good place to see the Sunshine neighbors.

Most Sundays some of the neighbors gather for a long walk.  Here's a picture taken last Sunday of the ladies.

 

From my friend Chris

FOR LEXOPHILES (LOVERS OF WORDS):

1. A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.

2. A will is a dead giveaway.

3. Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

4. A backward poet writes inverse.

5. In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

6. A chicken crossing the road: poultry in motion.

7. If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.

8. With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.

9. Show me a piano falling down a mine shaft and I'll show you A-flat miner.

10. When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.

11. The guy who fell onto an upholstery machine was fully recovered.

12. A grenade fell onto a kitchen floor in France resulted in Linoleum Blownapart.

13. You are stuck with your debt if you can't budge it.

14. Local Area Network in Australia: The LAN down under.

15. He broke into song because he couldn't find the key.

16. A calendar's days are numbered.

17. A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

18. A boiled egg is hard to beat.

19. He had a photographic memory which was never developed.

20. A plateau is a high form of flattery.

21. The short fortuneteller who escaped from prison: a small medium at large.

22. Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.


23. When you've seen one shopping center you've seen a mall.

24. If you jump off a Paris bridge, you are in Seine.

25. When she saw her first strands of gray hair, she thought she'd dye.

26. Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis.

27. Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.

28. Acupuncture: a jab well done.

29. Marathon runners with bad shoes suffer the agony of de feet.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun activities ahead! :)
Come visit me along, you've been slacking off! :(
Have a lovely Hump Day.
Smooches, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Wished I could be there, to walk with ya. Very scenic there. Love your pics.
Have a nice day.
your friend,Liz

Anonymous said...

Your first photo looks almost like a painting! I love it! Ummmm....did you say something about bears?? YIKESSSSSS! lol

Anonymous said...

What a great community you live in. The events are nice too.  Your friends look so nice and relaxed.  Great way to live.
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/
Tracy

Anonymous said...

sounds like a lovely place where you live.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

sounds like you are very buzy:) yep before you know it snow will be here. its always so pretty when it snows

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Found your journal through Cathy [onestrangecat]. Like the pictures, will keep an eye open.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

Always love to read your entries.


jeane

Anonymous said...

The photo of John & Sandy is truly beautiful.
Life in your neck of the woods, sounds so friendly and inviting. Sadly, folks around here are, in the main,  too busy "getting to the top" and aquiring material possessions, to care about the rest of the community. Our little villages are now full to overflowing with "weekenders" - folks who spend their weekdays working/living in London.
Take care.
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are Beautiful. I have always been a fan of the mountians. Probably since I grew up with a hunter/fisherman as a dad. You seem to really be enjoying retirement. if you would like another journal to read , well you are welcome to mine. Any animal lover is a friend of mine.
Love Christine

Anonymous said...

enjoy the snow!! (if it comes)

betty

Anonymous said...

Great photos. I wish I could attend some of those events ! Sounds great.
Watch out for bears !
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Busy is right sounds like alot of fun! Love arts and craft fairs and brewski's are good too! Vicky:)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time will be had by all in the upcoming weeks.  But please, do be careful of bears. Yikes.  And I thought we had it bad here in FL. with the alligators. lol  Hugs and GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Ah, I am a lover of words and that was very clever!
Penny

Anonymous said...

I got to see a bear there when we lived there, right out my back door.  He came down off of Sundance Mountain (I think that was the name of it).  I think I saw most everything while we lived there.  I loved watching the wildlife and got some great photos.  The only thing I never saw was a mountian lion and that is okay with me.  ;-)  I wish I was there to attend some of the celebrations you write about.  Maybe one day.............

Blessings my friend,

Susan

P.S.  One of our dear friends we met while we lived outside of Colorado Springs passed away this week.  I wrote about it in my Country Living Southern Style journal. Please remember the Kunze family in your prayers.  He was in his 90's and I don't think I have ever met a finer human being in my life.  Heaven truly got another angel yesterday.

Anonymous said...

David, the Sunshine events sound like a ball.  1.  I absolutely love to dance; and 2.  You know I love my brew.  I would love to taste those beers.  Have a few for me.  Chris

Anonymous said...

I loved the word plays!!!  Thank you!  Great pic!

be well,
Dawn