Friday, September 15, 2006

Talk Like a Pirate Day, Sept. 19

 

Milo and I left for our morning walk around 7AM, as usual.  We stopped at the school house and raised the American flag, honored our soldiers and their relatives and continued down the road.  There was wildlife all over the place.  We saw a red fox, a grey coyote, lots of rabbits, birds and a group of male deer. Their antlers are still covered in velvet.  Milo said it looked like they were holding a "stag" party!  How ever said dogs don't have a sense of humor?  Last Saturday a large, black bear(300lbs) crossed the road in front of us.  I was reminded that I still have a heart in my chest, for it was pounding rather hard.  It was the first time in a long time, that I have gone into "flight or fight" mode.  Fortunately it was just crossing the road and could care less if we were even around. On our return trip today, we said good-by to our neighbor Jill who is moving to the city.  We will miss her.

Milo wanted me to remind all of our j-land buddies that Tuesday, September 19th is "Talk Like a Pirate Day".  It is even celebrated in the UK.  It's a fun thing to do and yes, most landlubbers will think you've lost all of your marbles.

For those of you who need help, here are a few words:

ARRGH - Part of speech: exclamation.  A pirates favorite word.  It can be used for anything.

AYE, AYE - Yes, Yes

GOBBLE - To eat in a fast, rude and noisy manner

GROG - A pirate's drink

Grub - Food of any kind  "come ye pirates!  It be time for grub!,  ARRR

Landlubber - Pirate talk for land lover.  A landlubber is a person who does not have the constitution to live aboard a ship.

Manners - Pirates are generally not aware of this concept!

Scallywags - Pirates who love mischief.

Smartly - Quickly

Swashbuckler - A well-dressed, dashingly handsome pirate

Smiles,

David and Milo

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg I would have wet myself if I saw that bear lol Johnny will love the talk like A pirate day he is very into peter pan now days and walks around saying I'm captain hook and always looking for a duel with his pirate sword have a great weekend Vicky :)

Anonymous said...

That must have been scary to see that bear cross in front of you!  Thank God he had another agenda, and you weren't on it!

Pirates Day, eh?  Well, shiver me timbers!  I will have to check that out!

:)
Jackie

Anonymous said...

have a great weekend:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me of "Talk Like A Pirate Day".  Last year I led a celebration at work for the day.  We had a lot of fun!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Arrgh ye maties... thanks for heads up!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

OMG....I would have been scared to death if I was that close to a bear!  While we were in CO. for vacation we could hear them at night outside of our motorhome, trying to get in the garbage cans.  No way would I have walked outside with them! (ha)  I'll tell my 8 yr. old Grandson about Pirate Day, he'll love that!

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

OMG ! No pictures of the bear??? I would love to have seen that.
Best of luck to your friend Jill with her move.
Take Care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I'm thanking my lucky stars we haven't had wild bears in England for centuries..... my heart would have pounded its last beat. Will check out Pirates Day - sounds like a good excuse for a well needed laugh.
Take care, Sylvia.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the talk like a pirate day. I have never heard of it. I will have to try it out.

Anonymous said...

Arrghh, Swashbuckler...serve this wench some grog...hey, I never heard of this but think it's great!  Chris

Anonymous said...

I guess I could be considered a Scallywag!!!! LOL... Great and an unusual entry David!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

David I know all these sayings!!! YAY \o/ something I know on your journal lol :-) You have some fantastic wildlife on your doorstep! How wonderful to be able to walk and see such lovely animals! Not sure about the bear though, I'm glad he was only crossing the road, you and Milo take care! I'm going to click on the link now, thanks :-)
HUGS Debbie ~xxxxx~
http://journals.aol.co.uk/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

Arrgh, me'hartay...congrats on walkin' the Best Photography Journal plank for the Vivi's.  Cough!!  What I meant to say, was saw that you were recommended at the Vivi's and thought I would drop by and say hi!  Like the journal, good luck...maytay.

Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/

Anonymous said...

Oh my!  I think I would have died from a heart attack or messed in my britches if a bear had been that close to me.  They used to come down off the mountain at night around our townhome.  We would see the huge paw prints the next morning.
I would get spooked going to my car at night if I didn't put it in the garage.  Some of our neighbors there got sprayed by a skunk while going to another neighbors house one night.  Those same neighbors saw a mountain lion come up in their yard.  We watched the deer from their deck one evening.  The hummingbirds would light on your finger there if you stood very, very still.  I loved the wildlife there.  I guess the majority of them usually didn't bother you if you didn't bother them.

Blessings!~

Susan