Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Evening walk

 

Everyday of the week, early in the morning, Milo and I take our morning walk. I raise the American flag.  I have never mentioned that I also take an evening walk and lower the flag.  This evening Milo and I took our walk, as we have for the last year and a half.  I told myself that I was not going to write another bear story but I just can't keep this one to myself.  I usually keep Milo on a lease.  He loves to run and romp, chase imaginary bunnies and sniff every thing he can find.  Tonight I let him run, and run he did.  As we passed Tony's house I noticed movement in the woods above the road.  I looked and saw a black bear moving uphill, away from us.  Milo followed his natural tendencies and started after the bear.  The bear took off on a run, up hill.  I called and called for Milo to come back.  I knew the bear could kill Milo with one swipe of his paw.  Fortunately, Milo quit chasing the bear and returned to me.  Unfortunately, the bear, still in flight, also turned and started down the hill.  As I reached for Milo's collar and clipped the lease on him, I looked up.  There was the bear, stopped dead in his tracks staring at me.  I thought to myself, "this is not a good thing".  The bear turned and moved down hill, away from us.  Milo and I started home, I needed to change my underwear.

The craft fair at the school house went very well.  There were shoppers there on both Saturday and Sunday.  There was pottery, paintings, blown glass, jewelry, Christmas decorations and much, much more. 

Our neighbor, Paul, is the Director of the American HomeBrewers Association .  Paul's organization puts on the Beer Fest every year.  It is a national event, with beers from all over the country.  This year 380 breweries and 1,669 beers will be there.  Many Sunshine residents will be attending the annual Beer Fest at the Denver Convention Center.  It will be held on Saturday.

The Sunshine Community will be held on Saturday, September 30th, 2:00PM to 6:00PM at the fire station.  There will be a live auction, a silent auction (new this year) and great food and drink.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL i bet you did have to change your underwear haha stay safe winters coming

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm new to your journal, but I don't know if I should be happy or sad about it. ;) You have a great journal, and I love the pictures and the stories, but I'll be very sad if you stop telling bear stories. You can't do that, LOL. I've only just discovered your journal and I would love to read more about Milo's adventures with the bears. :)

Hugs, Mandy ~

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'd have had to change my underwear too! LOL
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy the bear stories, but not when they are any danger to you or anyone! Sorry to hear he got that close.
I wish I could go to some of these events in and around town. They sound great!
Take Care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

That was a close encounter with the bear! Milo is a 'brave' dog chasing a bear.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

Saw a video once of a cat chasing a bear away

http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

How can you not share this story. Im not sure what I would have done. But I would have s@*%@ my pants too... Thank God you were ok. And your precious dog. Love Christine

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I believe the Lord did protect you and shielded you from harm with the bear. Thank you Lord for protecting David and Milo!

betty

Anonymous said...

::shivers::   I have never seen a bear in the woods... I would be terrified.  Of course I'd probably run like H*** and get eaten alive.  I tend to panic in times like these!  Glad everything ended up okay... minus the soiled underwear!
Have fun at the beer fest!   Michelle  

Anonymous said...

Man I would have wet my pants for sure!  I am so glad Milo stopped chasing the bear. My dog Luke I fear would have kept going as he is a hunting/retrieving dog.  The craft fair sounds fantastic! I would love to participate in one of those myself.

Kara

Anonymous said...

glad that bear didn't come after u! Have a beer for me :) Vicky

Anonymous said...

Your account of the bear is hysterical. I had a similar situation when my ex-wife and I went to California to see the Redwoods. I went for an early morning walk, and saw a black bear. Even though he wasn't that big, there's a strange sensation that hits one when charged by a bear. I took one blurry photo that looks like one of those old Bigfoot sighting videos and tried my darndest not to sprint as I departed.

Fred

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I lived near you!  Not for the bears, but the craft fair and brew fest and auction sound like such fun!  

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't keep that bear story to yourself!  We have black bears in KY/IN, too, and one once chased my cousing out of the woods when he was riding a four-wheeler.  We think she must have had a cub nearby, because usually they will steer clear of you.  Glad you and your dog were okay.
My father used to make homemade beer.  It was something he really enjoyed.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Goodness, David, I would have needed CPR after that, and so would Grizzly.  You do have some wonderful events in Sunshine.  Did you attend the beer fest???  Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi David. I would be afraid to see a bear on a trip. I would like to see them far away. I wish I could have been at the craft fair. I would have liked seeing the pottery, the paintings, the blown glass and the Christmas decorations. I know my father would love the Beer Fest he likes things like that. I wish my family and I could be there in Colorado but things keep us here in Atlanta. I really wish I could be there. At least I get to read about your goings on in your journal. Thanks for sharing your day to day life with us. Let me how how things continue there. I will be waiting.......

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Your not the only one who saw a BLACK BEAR this last week, My son and grandson was up on his land in COLEBROOK N.H and was just riding around with the 4 wheeler, when they saw this bear just rolling on its back having a good time.... lol,,,,, My son has a horn on his wheeler so he let a good  blast out and the bear dicided he would go on his way,,,,,,,,  I'm not crazy to go up this time of year because of this....... I'll leave it to the GUYS......LOL          DIANE

Anonymous said...

Please let me know what dates the craft fair will be next year.  I would love to visit Colorado.

jeane

Anonymous said...

How scary about the bear.  So glad you are both okay.  Boy, all the festivals sound like fun.  I see I have a lot of catching up to do in your journal.

Blessings!~

Susan