Wednesday, October 4, 2006

The bears have been very active

 

Southeastern Wyoming

A sure sign of the approaching winter is the increased bear activity.  Almost everyone in Sunshine has see at least one bear, some have seen two or three.  They sure are beautiful, and very graceful for their size.  While Milo and I were on our walk last evening, our neighbor, Julie had a bear story for us.  I'm kind of wishing winter would arrive and the bears would settle in for their long winter nap.  That will come soon enough though. As for now, we have been enjoying a beautiful Indian summer.

The annual Sunshine Community Fest went well.  For the first time, it was held somewhere other than the old firehouse (which burnt down..save the jokes, we've heard them all).  The new firehouse served as a great setting for the dinner and auction.  It's great to see the neighbors and often there is a surprise.  This year the surprise was seeing our neighbor, Brian.  He has spent the last two years in Africa serving in the Peace Corps. The turnout was somewhat dampened by the Great American Beerfest.  A lot of the big spenders went to the beerfest and passed on the auction.  We'll see that doesn't happen again next year.

I just finished reading Kates post and have been inspired.  I love looking at pictures of places I want to visit and have not yet had a chance.  Scotland is one of those places.   

I have been thinking about doing a short travel series about my home state of Wyoming.  As Kate has shared her home with us, I would like to share my corner of the world with you.   I'll bet very few of you have ever met anyone born there.  Of course, you know me!!!!  There are some amazing, beautiful places in the state (and I'm not talking about Wamsutter..inside joke).  I have some of my fathers pictures taken just after he returned from Korea and I'll try to share them.  I also have a connection with the old west and the last person hung in Wyoming.  It's a story about chasing Indians, cattle rustling, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, and if I keep going, I'll give it all away. So anyway, here's a picture of some of my friends.  I was hesitant about posting the picture.  My old girlfriend may demand equal time and I don't have any pictures of sheep.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the photos.  the cows are pretty.
i don't think i have ever seen a bear.  all wildlife is beautiful.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Dropping by to say hi!
Sugar

Anonymous said...

yep snow is a coming:) then all animals at least the big ones sleep. i for one can't wait for the first snow

Deb

Anonymous said...

bears did you say bears.. your not getting chased down hills anymore are you?? watch that dog..

Anonymous said...

Milo, and neighbors, and BEARS!!! OH MY!!!!
We have bears here in VA. too. More on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Don't want to run into one though!!! There not beautiful to me, they
are scarey!!
God Bless,
Liz

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha David...you are so funny! Come on, we know they`re relatives of yours - not friends!
Any sheep in Colorado?
Seriously, I would love to see and hear more about Wyoming. You`re the only person I know who was born there.
I hope to share some more of Ohio in my journal. :)
Penny

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, the wildlife, everything nature has to offer. I live in NW Georgia and I get to see cows, horses, sheep, goats, and of course roosters everyday and I just love it! It gives me such a sense of peace to see the animals  while I'm driving to or from home because I never had that as a child living in NYC.

Hugs, Mandy ~

Anonymous said...

I love Wyoming!  When we lived in Utah we would often take weekend trips to explore!

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

I would love to see more of your state...and the bears? Well, you know I love to hear about them !
take care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
I am looking forward to reading about your home and seeing some photos too! Happy to be your inspiration.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see the pics have a great day :) Vicky

Anonymous said...

Hey....had any of those drunk bears showing up?????  Fermented apples, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh....we are about to go hiking in the back woods of the Big South Fork area in Tennessee.  There are black bears there.  Some have even been brought in to the area.  I always hope that we do not run into them.  

We just have friends that went back to Scotland as missionaries.  They were enjoying our warmer weather here.  They are in Livingston Scotland.

Thanks for commenting on my journal!  

Your temps sound wonderful to me!  A front is coming thru now but it has been in the 80's and I think we are going down to the 70's. Not a big front.

Sonya

Anonymous said...

You are missing out on all the fun, and I thought you lived in the Wild West. We occasionally get cattle, sheep and horse rustlers around here. They travel down down the motorways, slip off down a quiet country lane in the dead of night and load them up. Hare coursing and badger baiting are other illegal activities, mainly carried out by gangs of "townies". At least we don't have to contend with wandering bears though.
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Tell us about your experiences in Wyoming.  

jeane

Anonymous said...

Did I detect a little joke in that last sentence?  At least I hope it was a joke! lol
Lori