Thursday, October 12, 2006

Southeastern Wyoming

 

Southeastern Wyoming is the location of the state capitol and my home town, Cheyenne.  How could you be born and raised in Cheyenne, Wyoming and not be a cowboy?  Yes Amanda, I often wear cowboy boots.  The area just west of Cheyenne is where the plains meet the mountains, at least the northern tip of the Colorado Rockies.  The hill between Cheyenne and Laramie is the highest point along the Union Pacific railroad.  There is a monument at what used to be the highest point dedicated the The Ames Brothers of Boston.  They were instrumental in building the railroad.  It's know as Ames Monument.....Duh.  The railroad moved the tracks and left the monument out there all by it's self.  Few people ever see it any more.

Just south and east of the Ames Monument is Remount Ranch.  It was at the ranch that Mary O'Hara wrote "My Friend Flicka", "Thunderhead" and "The Green Grass of Wyoming" in the 1940's.  Bea, I would definitely put this on a "must see" list when you finally visit the west.  If you click on the link to the ranch, you will see the name "Tom Horn" mentioned.  I will cover Tom in another post and my connection to him. 

Laramie sits in a valley,  a high plain located between two mountain ranges. The mountains to the east are conered by Ponderosa Pine.  The mountains to the west and south are covered by Lodgepole Pine (used to make telephone poles).  Northwest of Laramie are the small towns of Bosler, Rock River, Medicine Bow and Hanna.  Medicine Bow is the location of "The Virginian" written by Owen Wister.

A drive to the west of Laramie will take you to Centennial (great skiing) and Woods Landing.  I'll share a secret with you.  Some of the best trout fishing in Wyoming can be found near Woods Landing.  If you go south on highway 230 and cross the Wyoming / Colorado border, there is a dirt road that goes back into Wyoming.  The forest hides the small streams.  If you look hard enough, you will see some streams to the north of the dirt road.  These are the headwaters of the North Platte river that flows into the Missouri River and then into the Mississippi River.  The Brook trout are very tasty and they fit perfectly in the frying pan.  Make sure you purchase a fishing license!

Here fishy, fishy!

OK, my best friend Chris, has reminded me that I forgot to mention Lake Marie, high atop the Snowy Range, west of Laramie.  At over 10,000 feet above sea level, it's cold, very cold.  There are still very deep snow drifts in early June.  Yes, that is snow in the picture and it was taken in July.

Nate and Lake Marie, Wyoming

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty but i prefer Colorado :)
(I was born and raised here) lol

Deb

Anonymous said...

Such beauty !! Thanks for sharing your world to us!
Ellen

Anonymous said...

It sounds so wild and remote. Lovely place,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

and what about Lake Marie?  Special place!!

Anonymous said...

Greatings!!! Happy Friday the 13th!!! I'm sure you will like these photos. Check them out if you'd like. I actually caught a ghost in a photo I took at the Eastern State Penitentiary. ENJOY & HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Anonymous said...

About 40 yrs ago, man thats a long time huh? anyhow we were coming back to N.H from Oregon and got in a bad snow storm on top of the mountain beween Laramie and Cheyenne, Our kids and us will never forget that as long as we live,,,but it was beautiful once we got over the mountain....... DIANE
 http://journals.aol.com/bpcorn48/secondtimearound

Anonymous said...

I love the photos!

Kara

Anonymous said...

David, thank you for the note! I will put it on my list of places to visit when I go west. And that you mentioned The Virginian... That was my number two favorite western book, the first being Shane (forgot author's name). Bea

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a monument to a railroad that is no longer there.  I've read all four books that you mentioned.  Of course I can remember watching the TV show, The Virginian (and My Friend Flicka, too), which was was not like the book, really, but I thought Randy was cute.  I was very, very young, but my sisters, P.J., Lois and Barbara would let me stay up to watch it with them.  Unfortunately, if I remember right, it was a 90-minute show, and I always fell asleep in the middle of it, and then one of them would carry me to my bed.  Good memories!
Lori
http://beta.journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages/

Anonymous said...

David, you have lived in some wonderful places.  Love the photos.  Figures Amanda would ask about cowboy boots...rofl.  David, I swear if I was a young chickie again, I'd be sporting cowboy boots and dancing on the bar at one of the Coyote Ugly joints; flipping those bottles and having a good old time.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Wow David!!! Nice wide open spaces!!!! Very rare here!!!! Beautiful pictures!!! Thanks for filling us in on some good ole history!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

Love your entry on Wyoming. I remember going up snowy range road and having a wonderful time.

jeane