Monday, June 25, 2007

Moab, Utah


Canyon Lands near Moab, UT

Milo was so excited as we started our walk this morning.  It has been 5 days since we took our morning walk together.  Milo was so excited he "bounced" down the driveway.  After we raised the flag and started toward the fork in the road, he told me he wanted to hear about the trip to Moab, UtahMoab is a special place for us.  It seems to have a connection to Boulder.  Moab is surrounded by things that we love to do.  There is rafting down the Colorado or Green rivers, cycling, hiking and camping.  It is also a great place to take some fantastic photos.  Moab is also the home of our friends, Bob and Bebe.  People from Boulder are always going to Moab, a short six hours to the west.

300 million years ago, much of what is now the great American west was under an inland ocean and was located near the equator.  Over time, the mountains pushed up and the plates shifted causing the ocean to dry.  These events caused the ocean floor tobe exposed, leaving the now visible sedimentary rock.  Wind and rain have eroded the rock giving us the beautiful views we have today.

We usually spend the summer solstice with Bob and Bebe's daughter, Terry and her husband, Dale at Hog Hollow in the northern Colorado Rockies.  This year, Hog Hollow is under major reconstruction so our Sunshine Canyon Summer Solstice YaYa Sisterhood Reunion took place in Moab.  We usually camp out so we were lucky we could participate in the Great American Backyard Campout at the same time.  The tempature was around 100 each day but it cooled off at night.  Sleeping under the stars was great.  We watched the International Space Station and the Space Shuttle fly over in the evening, and counted satellites as we watched the stars. We had about 18 people attend.

The drive west on Interstate 70 took us through the Eisenhower Tunnel, which is the continental divide and down past Dillon, Colorado, and continued to Vail.  We stopped in Glenwood Springs, Colorado for lunch and the drove on to Moab.  Each community is a vacation destination on it's own.

 

Lake Dillon

Be safe and remember, never kick a fresh cow chip on a hot day.

David

 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

what great pictures. Sounds like a great time. A few days ago I was driving to the food store in IL. a Jewel foodstore. A car in the parking lot drove by me that just said MILO on it, of course I thought of you two and your walks together. I'm sure he did miss you.

Anonymous said...

great pictures :) glad you had fun:) but you could have left the heat there lol

Deb

Anonymous said...

wow, 100 degrees!  I think it was still snowing last time I visited here.  Wow, it's been a while.  I'm glad you're still here and blogging away as always.  Great pics!  Love, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Wow....100 degrees? How cool you saw the space station. (Remember when I went to the Kennedy Space center ? I learned so much about all that stuff)
Be well,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

TY for coming by, been awhile. :)
Have a good day.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

David lovely pics ~ Moab sounds an interesting place to visit ~ and so much to do ~ 100 degrees I don't think I have ever been anywhere that hot ~ glad the nights cooled down ~ sounds like you had fun sleeping under the stars ~ I enjoyed the links you gave us ~ would like to visit those places  ~ and glad Milo enjoyed his walk ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

LOL... glad you had a good time and thanks for the advice!!!!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

The pictures where absolutely stunning and beautiful! Sounds like you had a wonderful time this year! I'm sure Milo was more than excited to catch up with you on his morn. walk. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

It looks pretty spectacular.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, beautifully stunning pictures David - I really enjoyed them - thank you for sharing.  Aww, Milo - I can just see him 'bouncing' down the driveway - so excited to be back to his routine!

I enjoyed this entry very much!

Be well,

Millie :)

Anonymous said...

Hi David, great entry.  Love the pix!!  I've got to get to Utah someday, it looks beautiful.  Sounds like a fantastic time.  
betsy

Anonymous said...

Well these pictures were so neat.  Being from Southern US, I've just not seen anything like that as I've not been too far away from here.  I'm sure that you had a nice time and it must have been neat to see the shuttle fly over.  So did you kick the hot cow chip?  LOL.
Have a good weekend and a good 4th!
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful picture show.  You are better than Garrison Keiler!!
Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

Sleeping under the stars sounds awesome.  Kinda like the boating experience.  Always beautiful.  Even if it storms.  Soemthng cozy about the whole thing.  
Your pics are always great and they tell a wonderful story in itself.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry.  I never made it to Utah while we lived in Colorado, but I have been to all the places in Colorado mentioned in this entry.  I have been through the Eisenhower Tunnel on more than one occasion, Dillon, Vail, and Glenwood Springs.  We spent a day at the pool/hot springs there.  It was heaven on earth.  Those were the happiest times in my life.  I miss is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.

Thanks for the gorgeous pics.  They just make me realize how much I want to live there again.  ::sigh::  Colorado stole my heart.  I may now live in my home state again of Alabama, but my heart is in Colorado!!!!!!

Maybe I can move back one day and hopefully our families will get a chance to meet!~

God Bless you and yours,

Susan

Anonymous said...

Wow, impressive!  My goal is to make a road trip out west before I leave this earth.  I can't even imagine these sights in my wildest dreams.  Moab is stunning.  Chris