Sunday, June 10, 2007

Morning walk with Milo

 

The continental divide, just west of Sunshine

Milo, Malcom and I all went on our daily morning walk.  I was a little late getting ready and Milo let me know.  Every time I would try to close a door, he would stick his nose into it and push it back open.  He kept looking at me with that "lets go dad" look. He gets so excited when I put on my hat and grab his leash.

We raised the large garrison flag today.  Milo and I usually fly it on weekends and holidays.  Milo sat at attention while I raised the flag.  I read the names of the veterans we honor everyday and than gave him a treat.  I really don't think Milo sits at attention for the flag.  I think it has more to do with the impending treat!

As we neared the fork in the road and began our return trip, we saw a white pickup truck approaching.  Milo knew it was our mayor, Chris.  His tail started wagging rather rapidly.  Chris always has a treat in his pocket.  As usual, Chris stopped for a brief conversation.  He noticed that some our neighbors had left for another vacation trip.  They drive to Denver International Airport and leave their car in the parking lot.  Chris admitted that he has only been to DIA once and that was just before it opened. Obviously Chris doesn't fly but he still has a keen interest in airplanes.  To celebrate the new airport, the City of Denver held an air show with all kinds of airplanes, vintage and new.  The US Air Force had brought in a stealth bomber.  Chris was describing one of the things he noticed on the fighter airplanes.  Some of the WWII planes had marks under the cockpit for the number of "kills" the pilot had achieved.  Some had small trains, some had the Japanese flag and some had swastikas for the German planes.  The new stealth bomber had four camels.  We had a good laugh then Chris drove on down the road.

For those interested in the Sunshine Garden Club, I have started a journal about landscaping.  I have 23 or 24 entries planned and have posted the 1st two.  My son, Michael, wanted me to teach him something about landscaping and gardening.  This will be my attempt to organize my thoughts.

The Flapjack fling was a huge success.  We raised enough money to pay for the tables and chairs and had plenty left over to add to the fire department treasury.  Thank you to all of the Sunshine residents who read my journal.  Pictures

Keep smiling and remember......... Never drop your gun to hug a grizzly (unless it Chris' dog).

David

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the picture. Dogs are so funny. Milo is a wonderful dog. He sounds like he is so smart.

Anonymous said...

Yea, I think Milo is waiting for his treat, and pretending to sit at attention.
The pictures were great, what a bunch of cool looking neighbors, they all look so friendly !
Be well
Ellen

Anonymous said...

have a good week:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Loved your photo's, David!  You have some wonderful events in Sunshine.  I also enjoyed your entries in your new journal.  I'm very interested in changing the landscaping around this place so your organization is a huge plus.  :) for the big hug for Grizzly :)  chris

Anonymous said...

Milo obviously enjoyes his walks and is not prepared to wait but wants to get going ~ I laughed at him sitting while you raised the Garrison flag ~ I think the treat he gets may have something to do with it :o) ~ that Air Show sounded great ~ glad the flapjack fling was a success and you raised plenty of money ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

I like to hear about your walks with Milo.  I'm also going to be checking out your gardening journal.  I can always use good advice when it comes to landscaping.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Did you say...........gulp.........grizzly?? lol Such a beautiful part of the country and you have to have bears there?? lol lol lol


XOXOX
K.

Anonymous said...

beautiful picture david.
i wish we could have a dog but we cannot get one since we are renting.  so i love hearing about your walks with milo
give him an extra treat for me and olivia :)
emily

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your walk with Milo with us...  And what a stunning photo!  

Michelle