Thursday, May 31, 2007

Family Tradition

 

Milo and I headed down the driveway shortly after 7 this morning.  The air was cool and crisp but at least it wasn't snowing.  As we neared the fork I noticed 2 hot air balloons in the sky below.  Yes, this is one of the places you can look down to see something flying in the air.  Milo has informed me that the bears are out and about.  He is running with his nose to the ground, stopping and sniffing more than usual.  Bob passed us in the school bus and the kids all waved. 

 On the return trip, just out in front of fire station #1, we met the mayor, Chris.  He was telling me a story that I would never repeat in a public forum when he abruptly stopped and announced that Lori was driving up behind me.  "Watch, she'll flip me off" said Chris.  I turned around just in time to see her lower her hand with a big smile on her face.  As she drove by, it looked like she was hiding a little chuckle.  "She does that to me every time she sees me on the road" Chris said.  "Her dad did that before he died, just a friendly salute between friends I guess.  Lori doesn't mean anything bad by the gesture.  She's just carrying on a family tradition".  With that we parted.

The annual Flap Jack Fling will be held this Sunday at Fire Station #2.  We'll start serving around 10.  The price went up a dollar this year.  Even with the price increase, it's a bargain.  That will give folks a chance to catch early church services and then join us.

Be safe and watch out for the bears.

David

 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your link on Mary Lousie's. Nice Bear Pix! Dang I don't know what I would do with them that close..YIPES! A raccoon in the house was bad enough at my folks...thankfully I was not there but my kitty alerted my mom. My folks retire in the winters in AZ & rattles in the backyard & they had a mountain lion the other day...ugh.

http://journals.aol.com/psychfun/methinkstoomuch/

My New One:

Anonymous said...

Hi David !!!!!!!!!

I wish I could be there for the "Flap Jack Fling" I love Flap Jack's. I will be sorry to miss it. I hope that you enjoy them for me. Let me know how the Fling goes. I wish I was there in Colorado to go to some of these activities but work and family keeps me here in Atlanta, Georgia. Do have lots of fun for me. Take care.

Anonymous said...

What a great photo of the bear! Glad to hear things are good in Sunshine.
Be Well
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Your morning walk rituals sound so inviting.... would love to breathe that Colorado mountain air. Watch out for those black bears! Bea

Anonymous said...

FLAP JACK FLING SOUNDS FUN ENJOY BIG HUG V

Anonymous said...

Your walk sounded wonderful ~ I would not dare to go walking in case I met one of those bears ~ what would Milo do if he came face to face with one ~ Flap Jack Fling sounds interesting think I would enjoy that ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

What a tradition!!!  How funny!

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

You and Milo watch out for those bears!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't have to worry about bears in my neck of the woods, but I do have to worry about the gators. lol  The mayor sounds like an interesting fellow.  : )  Shelly

Anonymous said...

I remember being scared to go out to my car at night when we lived in Palmer Lake because the bears always came around at night looking for food.  I only saw one the whole time we lived there and it was during the day time!!!!  Be careful!

Blessings!~

Susan

Anonymous said...

David, thanks for stopping by my journal.  Now I am glad to have found someone so close to my home-away-from-home, Estes Park.  I'm so glad there was no snow to close Trail Ridge Road when I was there two weeks ago.  You live in beautiful country.  Sounds like you and Milo really enjoy it.  Hopefully CO will be my place of retirement when the time comes.
betsy

Anonymous said...

i love the bear picture.  sounds like you and milo have alot of wonderful adventures together.
hugs
noelle

Anonymous said...

hmmm...flap jacks...never hear them called that here.  I guess that is a pan cake?  LOL
No bears near my house...some in the Smokey Mountains and also in Big South Fork areas of northeastern TN
Take care.
Sonya