Thursday, August 30, 2007

Home again

 

Measuring the Empire State Building

I would have never guessed that this cowboy would ever find himself looking across the Hudson River at New York City, but I did.  Our gig ended earlier than I had expected.  Don, my co-worker, winged his way to California as I flew back to Denver.  It was an experience, to say the least.  We were working for AT & T, auditing their overhead fiber optic cable.  That required us to measure the height above the ground at all streets, roads, railroad crossings and commercial driveways.  We also had to inspect the cable for any anomalies.  Our walks took us through Newark, Harrison, Rutherford, North Bergen, W. NewYork, Weehawken, Hoboken and Jersey City, New Jersey.

Just before I left, I finished a book about Alexander Hamilton.  The Hamilton - Burr dual took place on the river bank, just below the cliffs at Weehawken.  Little did I know that I would be soon standing in that very spot.

We were only stopped twice by security guards, asking us what we were doing.  One was at MSNBC and the other was at the Lincoln tunnel.  I guess we looked official as 20+ police officers passed us and did not stop.  One even stopped traffic as we took our measurement in the middle of a very busy intersection.  We did have an occasion to chat with some fire fighters in Jersey City.  I felt right at home.  I connected with Dawn via email but we did not get a chance to meet in person.

While Milo and I were walking this morning, we ran into our neighbors, Pam and Fred.  Fred told me he was from East Orange, NJ.  I mentioned that I was surprised what a nice neighborhood  Hoboken seemed to be.  Most of the area around it was mostly Spanish speaking and Hoboken was all English.  Fred reminded me that the Ferry goes across the Hudson to Manhattan there and that it is a yuppie neighborhood.

An observation from this ol' cowboy.  I was reminded that you have to keep your guard up and not to be too nice.  Being nice is often seen as a weakness.  Once you have stood your ground and shown that you have some nastiness in you, niceness has a chance to set in.  I lived around Baltimore for 11 years and found it true that you have to have a little "nastiness" in you to survive.  Little wonder I left and came home.  In Wyoming, a handshake and a look in the eye is often the only contract a man needs.  You don't cross a cowboy, he may leave you stuck in a spring blizzard, tied to a fence pole.  (I want to insert that I have met some really wonderful people from the city.  My old room mate, Doug lives in Queens.  Ellen, Marina and Vicky are included in that group of wonderful people).  It was also a little different passing people on the street.  Heads would turn away without any acknowledgement.  I missed that little eye contact and a nod of the head, saying "hello" that is common in the west.  I also forgot what it was like to have rain for more than 20 minutes at a time.  It rained for 2 days and kept us from working.  It may snow in Sunshine for days, but never rain.  I also missed seeing the stars, the millions of stars at night.

Which one of those wires is ours????

 

Lower Manhattan, across from the World Trade Center site.

Now that I am back, I need to get back into the swing of things here in Sunshine.  School has started and many of our summer residents have left.  Mike, Jennie and the kids have returned to Chicago.  Eva and Katrina are flying back to Germany as I write this; Jack will follow at the end of next month.  We will miss them.

The community is getting geared up for the Community Fest to be held on the 8th of September.  It is the annual fund raiserfor the fire department.  There will be a silent auction, a verbal auction, food and drink.  I always enjoy the verbal auction.  It's fun watching people bid $100 - $1000 for one of Hildegards cakes or pies.

The annual craft fair will be held on the 22nd of September at the Sunshine School house.  In conjunction, their will be a garage sell at fire house #1.  We are trying to raise enough money to get an electrical connection to the school house.  We lost our hook-up when fire house #1 burnt to the ground.

There will be no Team Sunshine meeting this month.  The next meeting will be on October the 25th.

The last meeting of the season of the Sunshine Garden Club will be held at Mary Ann's house (date to be announced).  We are planning on having a plant exchange.  By the way Mary Ann, are you a turtle?  (Mary Ann does not have an AOL account so I expect and answer via e-mail)

Remember, The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Smiles,

David

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey David, haven't been reading much journals lately, sure have missed yours. I always love seeing your entries and pictures. Just haven't had time to read or just haven't felt like it. Life has been turned upside down here, in the last year, with my divorce, so adjusting now and surviving. Looking forward to this new Life at 45 now. Been traveling huh? New York is ugly, isnt it. Dirty sky, we are not use to that. Here in Va. we have clear blue skies like yours in Colorado. Your's are probably even clearer. Well just thought I'd stop by when your alert popped up on a journal entry. Will try to be a more faithful reader again, now. Pet Milo on the head for me and say hi.
Take care,
Liz in Va.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking time to share your journeys, David.  I'm sure you're glad to be home again.  

I always enjoy your entries ~ especially your short reminders at the end!  Take care, and welcome home!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

hi david thanks for the mention. Maybe, next time you can actually get over here and have dinner with the 4 of us wouldn't that be nice :) glad u are home safe and sound V
PS> yea, here if you look at someone to long they think your either weird or are gonna rob them lol

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for you that you're home on the range, if you like. Living in a remote corner myself, I can empathise - I felt that way after coming back from a visit to Glasgow 4 months ago.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home again! I see Vicky invited you to dinner the next time you find your way out this way, So I will just crash that party and meet you then!
What a great experience to have had.
Be well,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home!!!! Its good you are back for the changing of the seasons:) so now what another job? hey Food Services is always looking for help i need help lol

Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a safe trip home.  Was Milo overjoyed to see you?  It sounds like you were able to enjoy yourself while working.  I know what you mean about showing your "mean" side before being able to show your "nice" side.  Where my husband works that is the order of the day.  Otherwise you'll get taken advantage of.  New people have to see that he is not one to mess with, then when they settle in they find out that he's fair and nice and easy to get-along-with.  I hope you have a great weekend!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I will crash Vicky's party too after all we are sisters and I'd get to meet Ellen finally too
Hugs, marina

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful experiance!!  I had a hard time the short time we lived back East as I am a nice, kind person and I often got run over hahaha! Im glad to live out West :)

Kara

Anonymous said...

I'm in upstate NY. A little more down home and friendlier crowd up this way. Yet there is still a huge rift of distrust. It seems as though some of the more unsavory lot of humanity is wading it's way up this way. I've even noticed a few gang signs and rivalry coming out in the open as of late. Even in the boonies you tend to have your trouble it would seem. I may be 5'1 but for the most part people have the general idea I don't play games. At the same time once they get to know me, they tend to find I have a heart of gold. Trust is a finicky thing here in NY. Glad your time away went swiftly and you made it back in time for the Labor Day holiday!
(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home, Dave... looks like you saw some interesting sights while you were working in NYCity... ain't it great to be back home? Sounds like you spent a lot of time up in the air (measuring the height of the cables above ground.. Ican't even imagine how many there were, or if you had some kind of technology that would decrease the time it would take to complete such a job). Welcome back!! bea

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm sure Milo and Janice were very happy you gone done sooner than expected.  Funny how different the cities are from rural areas.  I'm only 50 miles north of Pgh but what a different life it is here.  I still work in the city so I have to keep a bit of an edge but I'm getting soft.
Too bad you didn't get to meet Dawn.  She is such a sweetie.  Have a great weekend.  Give Milo a biscuit from Grizzly.  :)  Chris

Anonymous said...

Hey David !!!!!!!!!

I am glad to hear that your home again safe and sound. I do hope you enjoyed your trip. I wish I could have joined you for a little sight seeing but I guess you had to work. I wish that you could have been here in Georgia but work keeps you else where and things keep me here. I do want to thank you for sharing your life with us. Take care and I'll be back to visit your journal again later. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Anonymous said...

I wish we had gotten to meet, David!!!  It would have been fun!  You were definitely not in the prettiest area of the state, but it is an eclectic and cultural one.  I am out in the burbs.... lol

Next time...

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you made it back ok and I know that was a job but you probably created a lot of memories and had a good time with co-workers.
Take care.  Hope fall is pretty there.  Glad the fundraiser was successful.  
Sonya