Thursday, December 21, 2006

Colorado is Closed

 

Milo is ready for a walk in any weather

Colorado, from the Wyoming border south to Colorado Springs and from the foothills to the Kansas is closed!  We are looking at 24" of beautiful, white snow.  Milo and I had an interesting walk this morning.  It took us a while to walk down to the school house and put the flag up.  Milo romped and jumped and almost smiled.  He had fun playing.  I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

The news is showing the traffic reports.  There aren't any cars out at all.  The only vehicles on the roads are the snow plows and the national guard HUMV's. We are going to enjoy the white Christmas.

For those into the science of weather, a strong low pressure system slowly moved over the panhandle of Texas.  The counterclockwise spin pulled moisture from the Gulf of Mexico and slammed it up against the mountains.  The moisture could not move over the mountains so it just dumped snow on top of the front range.  So far, we have had 29 hours of non-stop snow.  This condition is called an "upslope" and is responsible for most of our heavy spring snow storms.  The spring storms are usually followed by several days of very warm weather, something that is lacking with this one.  This snow will be on the ground for some time to come.

For more pictures, visit Deb at Frosty Thoughts.

Here's a couple of more pictures.

 

My poor car!

 

Anybody for lunch on the deck?

 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

well Walmart was open this morning haha i will get more pics today:) stay warm and tell milo he is crazy :)

Deb

Anonymous said...

David, WOW!! Sure would like to see all of that. My son Travis said send him a plane ticket, he wants to come visit you and play with milo in the snow. Looks lovely. It's dark and cloudy here, looks like snow clouds but not expecting any until, after Christmas Day.   Thanks for the pictures.
God Bless,
Liz in VA.
http://journals.aol.com/bethjunebug/Bethjunebug

Anonymous said...

I am loving your pictures ! Please send some this way !
Enjoy and keep that puppy warm.
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I'm throwing on my boots,mittens, hat, and scarf...and coming to see ya! Put on some hot chocolate for me. Now let me find my sled and skis.... hmmm, .... that is a gorgeous sight. I do hope everyone was prepared for it. When I know it's coming, being snowbound is an adventure I wouldn't want to miss. Bea

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!  I have always wanted to be apart of a Christmas like this.  So far in my 29 years it has never hapened as I was raised in Las Vegas and Phoenix!  Maybe sometime...

Kara

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of snow, keep the pics coming!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Milo is almost buried there.  It is pretty and nice to have a white Christmas but Colorado travelers may not make their destinations for Christmas.  You and your family have a wonderful Christmas, David!  A big woof to Milo from Griz.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Wow....thanks for sharing the pictures.  Never see that kind of snow here in TN...Hope you don't have too much cabin fever....
I hope you all were prepared for this...surely they forecasted well in advance.  I saw on the news that some bride had missed her wedding b/c the flights could not get out.  She had cried and cried.  
Ya'll have been on our local news the past two days as well as CNN, TWC, and all the rest of the media.
Warm wishes for Christmas.  Have a good holiday....
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Hello........I so wish I was there. I would love to be there making some snowballs and drinking hot cocoa. It doesn't snow here in Georgia. Thanks for sharing the snow in your journal. I wish I could be there in your neck of the woods to visit you and your family. Take care and do have a wonderful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you all a Happy Christmas Day!!!!   Hope you are thawing out a bit, but I hear via the grape vine there has been a few more flakes flying around out there?

Anonymous said...

It's been in the 60's & 70's here. Send some snow our way in NC.

Happy New Year!

Gab

Anonymous said...

Wow... I saw Deb's pics too!  Unbelievable!  I really wish you CO people would share some of that white stuff with us in NJ!!!  We had rain on Christmas.  YUCK!

be well and hope your holiday was warm and wondeful!
Dawn

Anonymous said...

We didn't get near that much down here in the Springs, and most of mine blew into the neighbor's yard.  We are now getting ready for the second round, hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted.  Stay warm.

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous, I've been by Deb's Journal and saw all her snow too. Here I am in NY know for it's snow , once upon a time. And we just now have maybe a dusting tonight. I would love to be shut in with snow piled high outside, hot cocoa and a firplace roaring. Meanwhile Hi, I'm new to J-land I just came across your  Journal. Love reading your entries. Really loved hearing about Milo. I just recieved my hearing dog Pickles a little over two weeks ago. I started my Journal about the same time to pretty much tell of our adventures together. Stop by and check it out some time. I plan to stop back here and say Hi, definately. Anyone who loves animals is a friend in my book. From my spirit to yours stay safe and loved. Indigo

Anonymous said...

it's so warm here in bayou country, however, i DO NOT miss that colorado snow, not one bit! I remember my little dodge shadow "skated" to work every day... don't miss that!
Happy new year David, keep writing!
Luf Darcy

Anonymous said...

omg look at all that snow, lol funny picture of Milo who looks like hes ready to take off.