Monday, December 4, 2006

Why is the moon so bright?

Have you noticed how bright this full moon is?  On December the first, the moon hit it's perigee, that is the closest it gets to Earth on it's orbit around us.  I guess it needs more space and starts to move toward its apogee.  During a sales training meeting many years ago, the trainer was trying to make a point on how different most men and women think.  He asked us to describe the moon.  Most of the men described a small planet-like object (a rock), orbiting the earth, going through phases (new, 1st quarter, full and last quarter).  The women described something totally different.  Most described watching the moon rise on a romantic summer evening, with a warm gentle breeze.  They talked about it's orange glow that turned white as it rose in the sky.   The object of the lesson was to teach the new sales people to open their minds and to remember that different people observe different things.

We are seeing some progress on the rebuild of fire station #1.  At least that was until the snow and cold moved in.  Here is a recent picture.  That is as high as the cinder block wall is going to go.  The rest will be siding.  I'm sure Steve and Julie across the road will enjoy the view once it is finished.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas friend! Tammy

Anonymous said...

Been too cold for me to venture out at night to look at the moon. LOL
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

My son and I spent some time outside under some blankets and he just ooohhhed and aaahhhhed at how big the moon was! It was really amazing!

Kara

Anonymous said...

ok could you work a little harder to keep the snow and cold up your way PLEASE!!! lol the new fire station will look good when its done:) have a good week, at least it was warmer today

Deb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder about the moon. It is a beautiful thing.
The station is looking good!
take care, stay warm
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I was watching the moon rise a short while ago, around 3.30pm at this time of year and thinking how huge it looked, a glimmering white orb hanging above the distant treeline! I am with the women's opinions of the moon David (LOL!).
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

That was some interesting info about the moon, David..    I love learning new things!  Firestation is starting to look great!

Blessings,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Yes, the moon is a magical thing.  Perfect way to emphasize our mars and venus differences...  lol

Glad the firehouse is moving along...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

The moon was beautiful the other night, almost got frost bite out there moon dreaming, no stars to wish on that night : )
We women do love the moon, probably something else men will never understand lol

~ Jenny

http://journals.aol.com/dreamingbrwneyes/DreamingThroughTheNoise/

http://journals.aol.com/dreamingbrwneyes/SunshineExpressions/

Anonymous said...

I think the moon has been really beautiful this month
Sorry I've been MIA from your journal I'm sure you know how it gets
Big Hugs and keep warm, Marina

Anonymous said...

I noticed the moon while taking the trash out...lol I had Dakota with me, and he was sniffing out some cats that were under the jeep, and I just happened to notice how everything was lit up, and sparkling. I look up to see the most stunning moon. There I stood looking straight up in my bunny slippers, and pj's....freezing and not even noticing it. My neighbors are really afraid of me...lol Take care,
Dwana

Anonymous said...

I agree. Men and Women do really see things differently. Stay warm :)  Vicky

Anonymous said...

I was sitting on my back porch, in the freezing cold, watching that same moon and it's incrediable beauty and I remember thinking, 'I wonder if anyone else in the world is seeing this amazing moon as I see it now'
I'm glad you did.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Men see the moon as a rock like object because they aren't romantic..lol.  Of course a woman would see it as an object of romance.  Men are Mars; Women from Venus...hehe  Glad to see that the fire station is moving along depending on the weather but spring will get here before we know it.  Have a good one, David.  Chris