Friday, February 3, 2006

Sunshine FAC

Actually, I have two things today.  Waverly Person, media director of the National Earthquake Center in Golden, is retiring today.  He has been there for 51 years!  When I was president of the Fort Collins Kiwanis club, Wavery was my mentor.  He helped me grow our membership.  Whenever I had a question, he was there with an answer.  Anytime there was a large earthquake, anywhere in the world, Waverly was the individual the networks would interview.  He kept his sense of humor too.  When he sat down at our table to eat lunch we would ask him "What's shakin'" and he would always laugh.  I still see him often when I go to town.  He always says "Hi" and calls me by my name.  A toast and a tip of my hat to you Waverly.  Congratulations.

Tony and Linda are hosting FAC (Friday Afternoon Club) this evening.  Our friend Tom, is in from New Zealand for the weekend.  I can guarantee we are going to have some fun tonight. Tom has been on all 5 continents.  Born in France, he has traveled all over the world.  (And no, he does not have a cone head, for the older Saturday Night Live crowd)  He is retired from United Airlines.  With his flight benefits, we never know when or where he will show up.  He has a great sense of humor and always keeps us laughing.  They have even named a drink for him at the Gold Hill Inn. (but then, that is another story for another post)

David

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope your former mentor has a good replacement but I doubt it. He's been at his job for twice my life! LOL So, he certainly built up 'a lot' of knowledge.
Hope you have fun tonight and waiting to hear about it!
Have a great weekend,
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Yes Waverly Person and his wife are wonder people his wife was my nephews teacher in 1st grade i think anyway they both came to Brandon and Zachs graduation party wonderful people:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Again, leaving us hanging with the story !! And I got the Saturday night live joke, now i'm part of the older crowd???  LOL.
Have a great day David
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Have a great time and a fun weekend.

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

Great entry David!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

Have fun! :)

I prefer that it not shake here in California..  It does way to much of that! lol


Jackie

Anonymous said...

David, you do have some of the most interesting and unique friends.  Being 52, I sure do remember the Coneheads and the classics SNL's.  And, yes, this was a "super" Superbowl, of course.  It wasn't boring, that's for sure.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi DAvid..hope all is well. it sounds it!

Love the little tidbit about the gold hill Inn, Tom sounds like a great man, Id love to be a traveler, myself one day!

love,
Meg