Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blasting Rocks

 

Mountain Iris at the bottom of our driveway

 

This morning, Milo, our mixed breed mutt, and I took our daily morning walk.  We stopped at the Sunshine school house and raised the American flag.  Milo always sits at attention.  As we continued our walk, the school bus approached.  Bob, the driver, stopped the bus and passed Milo a treat.  Bob mentioned that he saw a mountain lion on his way up the canyon.  We talked about keeping the dogs safe and then he continued his trip toward Boulder.  As we moved on, I told Milo this story about Sunshine.

 

 

The community of Sunshine is a ghost town.  It was a good sizedgold mining community in the 1870’s.  Between the gold playing out and the wars, the residents left, leaving mine shafts, building foundations, stories and a couple of ghosts.  Our neighborhood is now a bedroom community for Boulder and Denver.  The mines are still here, and so are some of the stories.

 

Miners have always been practical jokers.  Harry, my father-in-law, told me a story of a miner that was involved in a mine accident.  He claimed a fellow miner lost his finger in the accident.  The first miner said he had found the missing finger of the second miner.  He claimed to have picked it up off the floor of the mine and put it in his can of chew (chewing tobacco). To prove this claim, he opened his can of chew and there was a finger tip!  While the others were looking at it, the finger moved, startling the onlookers.  The miner had actually poked a hole in the bottom of the can and put his own finger through the bottom.

 

Several years ago I was walking through Crossroads Mall in Boulder.  It was in a time period just before Halloween.  As I passed Spencer’s Gifts, I noticed a plastic human skull with all of the Halloween merchandise.  I couldn’t resist, so I bought one, took it home and hid it away.

 

Harry hasowned a prospecting permit, allowing him to work the mine on our property on a small basis.  He also has a blasting permit, allowing him to set off some small explosives.  One Saturday, Harry asked me to help him while he was setting off an explosive charge.  Harry drilled holes in the rock and set the charges.  Always vigilant of safety precautions, we had to keep the area secure.  I was below the area, keeping anyone who might wonder by from entering the blasting area.  Harry called out “Fire in the hole” and I repeated it.  There was no response.  The area was safe.  Harry set off the charge and after making sure everything was secure, we left the area.  There are dangerous residual gases in the blasting area.  Later, Harry inspected the rubble and found some nice gold ore samples.

 

On Thursday evening, when I returned home from work, we repeated the process.  This time, after setting off the charge, we went home for dinner.  While we were eating I excused myself from the table, snuck out the back door and ran down to the blast area.  I took the plastic human skull and buried it in the rubble and then returned home.  We finished dinner and Harry excused himself.  I knew he would want to go to the blast area and checkout the loose rock.  Janice and I followed him, keeping out of sight.  We settled on top of a hill above Harry.  We heard him moving rocks, then a quiet pause.  Then came “Oh my, what’s this?”  We couldn’t keep from laughing.  To this day, he is still trying to “get even”.

 

He did try once.  Harry put a rubber scary Halloween mask on the spindle of the washing machine.  Because I usually do the laundry, he knew I would be the next one to open the lid.  Well.....it was Janice that opened the washing machine lid.  We could here her scream all the way in Boulder.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

better watch behind you......Harry is going to get you good when he gets you back. And we'll be waiting to hear about it because I'm sure you'll want to share it.

interesting about the history of Sunshine...

betty

Anonymous said...

It seems you are building a repertoire of your own "stories" to pass down to future generations... keep them alive. Great entry! Sunshine sounds like a wonderful mountain community....west of Boulder. Someday I think my husband and I will visit, maybe when we retire... in about ten years. You gonna be there? bea

Anonymous said...

Love the flower:) i sent you a email:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

ROFL....that story was too funny....bet Janice had something to say about that.  So cute that you tell Milo stories.  I always talk to Grizzly, and my kids say I'm nuts...LOL  Gorgeous picture!  Chris

Anonymous said...

OMG ! To Funny.... Its your turn to get him back, right? Halloween isnt to far away !!!

Ellen

Anonymous said...

LOL!  Sounds like you guys have just a little bit too much fun up on that mountain you call home!! ;)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Janice. You guys sound like a bunch of practical jokers.
Cute entry Dave and love the photo.
Dianna

Anonymous said...

David; congrats on being an editor's pick!! Awesome! So glad I found my way back to your journal. Give Milo a pat for helping you write such a great journal! This is a honor well deserved!

betty

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a super fantastic journal you have here.  So glad to meet you and thanks for visiting me too.  I love the story of the mine and the finger! lol  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Love the mountain iris photo! Blessings, Sassy ;-)
Woof to Milo!

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysEYE

Anonymous said...

Great journal.
Loved the photo's.

Mary Louise

http://journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/WatchingMySisterDisappear/

http://journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/MARYLOUISESPHOTOSHOOT

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being Editor's Pick! YaaWhoo!!
Dianna

Anonymous said...

Hi David, how have you been? Please excuse my absence from your journal, Ive been pretty busy lately. Great to know that youre a editors pick. Congrats! Your journal sure does deserve it.

Take care,
love,
Meg

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being editors pick!  I enjoyed your journal..great picture of the iris!  It looks so pretty there!
take care
emily

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being an editor's pick. -Dawn-

Anonymous said...

Congratulations David!  It's nice to see you on the Editor's Pick list.  You certainly deserve the honor.  Pennie

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you for being a guest editors fav journal.  I have to admit your journal takes me away...I love coming here..it is a breath of fresh air.  Loved this entry....sound right down my alley.  take care..tell Milo hello from Ohio.
Dwana

Anonymous said...

Congrats, David!   Aren't we special?  hehehehe   Had to add this because you know I absolutely love to enter your journal.  LOL...I have to say your photos are even more brilliant on this new machine of mine.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Iwas taken aback reading your Feb28, article. in1960 I was at Lowry AFB, Denver. It was a time in my life I won't forget.The countryside was beautiful and I spent a wonderful time there.  Your pictures  reminded me of the beauty  of Colorado an the good times I had there I live in Rhode Island and as I look out of my window I see the snow and hear the wind blowing outside. The scene is beautiful to behold but I'd rather be back in Colorado in the spring with  all it's beauty. Well thanks for the memories and have a wonderful day.
                                                                Charlie

Anonymous said...

Hi !!!!!!!! I had to drop by and say hello. This is a wonderful picture of the great outdoors. The weather here in Georgia at the moment is wonderful and what I call sun-splashed. Your journal is wonderful and interesting and I love reading it. I hope that you are with us here at J-Land for a long time to come. Bye for now but I'll be back soon........

Anonymous said...

May the sunshine at Sunshine never stop!
GO MILO....

Anonymous said...

Your jourrnals are so interesting.I read all of yours tonight.(IT's my first night to be in journal chat)I hope you write more.You SOOOO deserved Editor's Pick.Pictures are great.Give a wolf wolf to Milo.
Froma little girl in a warm Tennessee Spring,(your entries make be cold)
Michelle