Monday, March 6, 2006

Morning Walk

 

 

The Continential Divide and Sugarloaf from Sunshine

Greetings!  We had a sunrise alert this morning.  High clouds to the east gave us a gorgeous sunrise.  Milo and I headed down the driveway and onto the main road toward the school house.  As we rounded the bend and approached the flag pole, Maui and Plato greeted us.  The puppies are getting so big.  All three dogs sat at attention as I raised the flag.  Milo and I continued on our walk.  Maui and Plato stayed at their home.  Milo and I are hearing more birds chirping as we walk.  That is one more sign that spring is just around the corner.

On our return, Bob stopped the school bus and threw Milo a treat.  Bob and I talked about the fire danger.  We (Boulder County) have had three fires in the last three weeks.  Two of them have been in the Sunshine fire district.  The second fire had a certain amount of irony to it.  Our neighbor Rob had just finished mitigating the area around his house.  He thinned out the Ponderosa pines.  He continued by eliminating any branches under five feet.  He gathered all of the cut branches and put them in a "slash" pile.  On a safe burning day (one with moisture on the ground, high humidity, and very little wind) he burnt the slash pile.  Ten days later, the slash pile ignited and started a wild fire.  Because he had mitigated, there was no major damage (other than our phone line). Only the dead grass was burnt and that will be green in a month or so. The irony is that the fire started in the slash pile.

My BIL is returning from Alaska with Milo's mom.  I can not understand why he spends the winter in Alaska and the summer in the lower 48.  Oh well......

A big THANK YOU to Sharon for including me as a pick in her Guest Editors Entry.

While in town on Saturday, I saw a saying I'dlike to share.  "Shoot for the moon, If you miss, you'll still land with thestars."

Smile, David

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,

I always enjoy reading your journal.. it always makes me smile, as I visualize you and Milo, making your daily walk, and Milo always getting that treat from Bob the Bus Driver! :)

I imagine it to be so beautiful where you live.  Love the pictures!

And.. if I haven't already said it.. let me say it now.. Congratulations on being chosen as Editors pick!  You deserve it!

Bless you and yours,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

That`s a beautiful picture! Congrats on being picked by Sharon. :)
Love the quote.
Penny

Anonymous said...

that is a beautiful picture

you should post us a picture of your dog and the flag :)

ttyl
emily

Anonymous said...

yes it is very dry hope we get some much needed moisture soon:) love the pic of sugarloaf:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

I love that saying, David!  Stars are not a bad thing to end up with.  I saw my first robin yesterday.  The birds were chirping, and the geese are returning in their V formations again.  YEAH....spring has almost sprung.  Chris

Anonymous said...

The picture is awesome David. Majestic. Whenever I see pictures like this the word "spiritual" comes to mind.
BTW You have cute names for your dogs:)
Dianna

Anonymous said...

The picture is so beautiful.  It makes me envious.  Wish I could walk the beagle in beauty such as that.  Pennie

Anonymous said...

I want summer already, beautiful picture.  I want to hear more birds.  

Anonymous said...

What a glorious photo.  It was a beautiful day here also.  Though not quite that pretty.  :)  Barb    

Anonymous said...

Another great Entry. That fire was a strange one 10 days after the first . WOW.
Give Milo a big hug and kiss from his buddy on Long Island.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture, David! Truly a land blessed by the Lord! Congrats again for being picked as an editor's pick; a well deserved honor. I would imagine your brother enjoys perhaps the solitude of an Alaskan winter? The ruggedness of it? So if they call someone who migrates from a cold climate to a warm climate during winter a snow bird, what do they call someone who does the opposite thing? Crazy? (j/k since he is your brother). I bet it will be good to see him.

Seems strange to have fires so early in the year. Very dry here too.

Enjoy the day.

Anonymous said...

Found your journal through the guest editor and must say I've enjoyed reading the few entries so far. Lots of reading to get me caught up. I love your beautiful state of Colorado. My Husbands family lives up in Bailey. We lived in Golden for a short 6 months then stupid me...got homesick for friends and family.....so back to Michigan we went. Regret that move....now :(
Well just wanted to say hi and that I so enjoy your journal and photos.

Anonymous said...

It is nice to know that there is still a piece of America out there.  I will return.  

http://journals.aol.com/redonionsauce/photosmyway
http://journals.aol.com/redonionsauce/SeeAmerica

Check out the archives.  Congradulations

Anonymous said...

David,
Thank you for sharing this message of spring. Keep us posted? The sooner spring arrives on the mountaintops, the sooner we'll feel it in the lowlands. You are our bellweather!

Charley"

Anonymous said...

Great entry David and such a beautiful picture!!! That alone is worth the walk!!!! Wow!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)