Thursday, March 9, 2006

Thursday Morning walk

Sunshine Schoolhouse flag at half-staff, Sept, 2005

Milo and I started our walk in the snow this morning.  We received about 4" of the white stuff yesterday.  I like to call this kind of snow a Spring snow.  It is a very wet , heavy snow, unlike the light, dry snow we receive when it is really cold outside.  When we arrived at the flag pole, I had a thought.  I am raising the American flag for the community.  I am also doing it to honor those who have served, and are currently serving in the armed forces.  My wife's brother is currently serving in Iraq.  I am also remembering a couple of others.  My thought was, why not remember friends and relatives of my J-land friends who are serving or who have served.  So.... If you have someone you would like me to mention as Milo and I raise the flag, please send me an email:  dwhee70041@aol.com or please leave a comment.  It can be for anybody who has served.  Milo and I would feel honored. 

Milo and I continued our walk.  The birds are very vocal.  Bob, the school bus driver, waved and passed Milo a treat.  We hurried home.  There is more snow on it's way.

We have a new neighbor in Sunshine.  Tim and Dr. Tracy had a baby girl.  Their daughters name is "Lola Sunshine _______".  They live in the Gunn house.  Isn't it funny how you remember houses by the families who lived in them.  Although the Gunn's don't live here any more, their name does.  Congratulations to Tim and Tracy.

Tonight is Bunko night.  16 of the neighborhood women will be converging on our house to play Bunko.  I have NO clue what Bunko is, other than cards are involved and I have to clean the house.  Men are NOT ALLOWED.  Sounds like a good evening to go to Home Depot.  (Later entry:  I feel so lucky....I got to stay around enough to see they use dice instead of cards)

Keep smiling... David

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are getting rain today.... hope it doesn't turn to snow as we still have several inches on the ground here in Wisconsin. Have fun at Home Depot tonight, sandra

Anonymous said...

So let us know what Bunco is.

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful picture David...my father had served in vietnam and tony you know is in Iraq...its wonderful that you continue to raise it everyday :)
hope it warms up for you soon
let us know what bunko is, lol
have fun at home depot!
Emily

Anonymous said...

That`s a great idea, David!
Penny

Anonymous said...

Hi David, found you via Dead Investigations.  Love the peep into life in your community...sounds great.  When you raise the flag again will you remember please all the British troops who are serving there and also the families of those who have died.  Thankyou.  Eve.  Ps what is the Home depot?...a pub?

Anonymous said...

Nice entry!  We have Bunko here in Florida as well, except we play with dice. : )  congratulations on the new neigbor, how sweet.  Have a great day!  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

what a great way to honor those who serve, David! I don't know anyone who is serving, otherwise, I'd pass on the info to you.

I know what you mean about spring snow; wet, heavy; sometimes gone within a few days depending on if you get a warm spell. Enjoy!

How fun your wife has Bunko friends. I'm familiar just a bit with the game. It sounds like a lot of fun. You are a good sport for cleaning the house for her :)

betty

Anonymous said...

what a nice way to honor them :)

Deb

Anonymous said...

What a kind gesture David.  I hope many take you up on it!

Bunco!  I used to play that..years ago! When I was married to my 1st husband.  It was so much fun!  12 women and 3 card tables, and I think.. if I remember correctly 15 dice!  Am I right?  5 per table?  It's been over 20 years, so my memory is a bit rusty!!  ;)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add a name to the list of those you are remembering. Young Jeremy Allen was just recently sent over to Iraq. I've known him since he was in 2nd grade, and he's been active in our church ever since he was a small child. His family go to our church as well. He's a good boy, and we all pray for Jeremy's safety, and the safety of all the soldiers. Thank you for remembering them. Bea

Anonymous said...

my gf has been in a bunko group for about 8 years now. she still love it.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just caught the "later entry" and the part about going to Home Depot. ROFL.  Home Depot!!  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

David, what a beautiful thing to do in offering to mention those serving while raising the flag; such an honor.  I don't know his name but there is a fellow, Andrew in J-Land, whose brother is missing in Iraq now.  Maybe mention Andrew's brother?
Lola Sunshine....such a beautiful name and so appropriate.  Chris