Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Ghosts In Sunshine

 

One of the haunted houses in Sunshine Colorado

Milo and I left for our daily morning walk just after 7AM.  The morning air was cool and crisp, with the smell of damp Ponderosa Pine.  As we stopped by the flag pole in front of the Sunshine School House, the puppies, Maui and Plato joined us.  I raised the American flag in honor of our veterans and their families.  I have added a new name to my list, that of LCPL Simmons, who died in Iraq.  Thanks to Emily for supplying me with his name.  We continued to the fork and were greeted by Scooter, our new neighbors three legged dog (missing a hind leg so he scoots where ever he goes).  Scooter is a very friendly dog.  On the return trip we met Bob and the School bus.  Bob threw Milo a treat and commented about how smooth the road is now that it has been graded.

In my post on May 18th, I mentioned Kay and her ghost.  I promised I would expand on that topic to several readers.  Kays house is shown above.  When I first moved to Sunshine, my wife's best friend lived in the Gunn (that is a family name) house.  There were rumors that it was haunted.  One evening we had joined Dolly and her husband, Mike for drinks and dinner.  We talked about a number of topics.  The conversation eventually moved to the topic of the ghost.  Although it was a while ago, and I am suffering from CRS disease, I think I can remember most of our conversation.  Janice asked Dolly if she had ever seen the ghost.  Mike and Dolly both laughed and said yes.  Dolly, if i recall this correctly, told Janice that she had gone upstairs and saw him at the top of the stairs.  The ghost was in the image of a man in overalls.  I'm sure Dolly will let me know if I'm not correct.

Several years later the house was sold and remodeled.  When it was remodeled, all but one wall was torn down.  The new home was build on the same footprint as the old, with only the single wall remaining.  The other day I was talking to Kay and asked her about the ghost.  She looked at me and quizzed "Do you know about that?"  Of course I said yes. Kay told me that she has never seen it in the house but, often feels that there is someone peering in the window.  When she checks, there is no one around.  I wonder if the ghost moved outside when the house was remodeled.  Since our conversation, I have noticed a "FOR SALE" sign in front of the house.  Hummmm.....  I would hate to see her move because of something I said.

Do I believe in ghosts.........Yes, but that's another story.  (sorry Ellen)  Do you?  Have you ever seen one?

The SCSSYYSR is going to be held the weekend of July 15th and 16th at Hog Hallow somewhere between Craig and Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great entry David and very interesting!!!!! I love the picture of that house!!!! It looks so country!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

Interesting entry David, but I don't believe in ghosts except in the telling of stories about them. Still, I thrill to hear a good ghost story every now and then! Bea

Anonymous said...

ok yes i beleive in ghosts but don't tell my kids lol have a good evening

Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure about ghost, I think sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. But, I find this all very interesting. Now stop scaring the neighbors away, lol just kidding.

Anonymous said...

sometimes i get feelings and i do believe something i dont know if a ghost is there but something.
thanks for adding lcpl simmons i'm sure if he was alive he would be honored as well as his family.
ttyl
emily

Anonymous said...

Oh I do believe in ghosts.  When I have had to house hunt, I get definite feelings when I enter certain houses.  No way will I even consider buying a house that give me the creeps or an eerie feeling.  LOL...I would never be able to live in that house.  I would most definitely feel weird before anyone said anything.  This is what my mother refers to an my being "fanciful."  Chris

Anonymous said...

When I was a child I lived in an old remote farmhouse with fosterparents. I had my own bedroom and many a night I would lay awake scared about the noises from the attic above. My fosterparents told me there was nothing in the attic, it was only creaking boards making the noise. On only one occasion I woke in the night and turned round just in time to see a shape run across the room and disappear through the end wall. It was a woman with shoulder length hair and slim shape. She was running fast enough to cause her clothes and hair to be flowing behind her..if that makes sense.   I wasn't scared at all and didn't tell what I had seen.  When we moved from that house the Nobles told me that they had been so scared about the attic noises  that after one check they  wouldn't go up again. Apparantly a young mother called Mary ( who had previously occupied the house)had hung herself  in the attic leaving her children playing outside. It was the rural postman who found her. The house today is a holiday let and can be booked via the internet ...but it makes no  mention of Mary. I wonder if she is still there.....probably.  I will book a week there sometime and see.  Eve

Anonymous said...

I definately believe in spirits, or maybe spirits in the form of something else maybe....great entry.

Thanks,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

My DH never believed in ghosts.....until he spent the night in my apartment with me, before we were married and while I was asleep my Grandmother, who had died in the room years earlier appeared to him.........standing in the doorway, SHE lit up the room, she was only there for a blink of an eye but he saw her! He never wants to talk about it, and still swears he didn't see anything, but then why wake me up out of a dead sleep to ask me what my Grandmother looked like??? lol lol lol

Anonymous said...

Wow, spooky!  : )  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

I believe in spirits.  We all have them and I suppose for one reason or another those spirtis that have passed on visit every now and again.  Although I have never seen a spirit I oftne times feel them with me, watching over me.

Kara :)

Anonymous said...

Hi David .. :)

I do believe in ghosts, but I have never met one personally!   Felt their presence, but that's about it.

Spooky looking old place!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a Happy Holiday Weekend!
Hugs,
SUGAR

Anonymous said...

oh yeah I totally believe in ghosts I have never seen one but I know they are there :) have a great day Vicky

Anonymous said...

Hi David..thanks for commenting in my journal today...nice to meet you. I always get excited to meet a male in J Land...there aren't a lot here but i just love the ones who are! You are on my alerts now. I see you know alot of my friends. We had a soldier die in my city in Ohio this week..i wrote about it in a recent entry. Very sad. I love reading your words already. You are a good writer. I have two beagles and love them beyond words. One is obese and one has terrible gas. lol
Anyway, take care and nice to meet you!
lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Hi David. . thank you very much for the birthday greetings. . its so kind of you.I have been reading some of your journal. . .wow. . what a nice place to live!!

Anonymous said...

lol, who`s the dude in the AC/DC shirt with the long hair. Do I believe in ghosts? Not really. I`d be curious to know how you ended up living in the town of Sunshine. It seems a bit remote. Happy holiday weekend, David! :0)
Penny

Anonymous said...

David, TY for your nice comment on my beginning 4 day tribute for Memorial Day, hope you came back by & caught the rest of the salutes!
God Bless & TY for serving,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Oh I love a good ghost story.  I believe there is something.  We onced lived in a house that I always felt unsafe in.  I used to run from the basement (laundry room) to the upstairs, and back to pick up the load of clothes....absolutely scared to death!  I was pretty skinny then...hey maybe I need a ghost in my kitchen..lol
take care,
Dwana

Anonymous said...

We have had weird happenings in this house I can't explain and in our doublewide which was about five doors down from where we are now.  My house was built out of material salvaged from two houses torn down in my home town that were over 100 years old.  I pray NOT to see ghosts, lol.

Blessings!~
Susan

Anonymous said...

Wow......you are so fortunate to live where you do.....it looks so beautiful there.  I love Colorado....pure paradise.  The ghost story was scary, glad I didn't read it while my hubby was on night shift! (ha)

Take Care,
~Bilinda~