Sunday, May 14, 2006

To my Mother, on Mothers Day

 

Happy Mother's Day to you, Mother.  Although we haven't spoken to each other in several years, you are always with me.  I feel your presence every day.  I feel you in every fiber of my body, for you gave me life.

You have given me so much.  You gave me three wonderful brothers and a safe home.  You gave me a home that encouraged love, understanding and respect.  For that I am forever grateful.  You took me to Church, had me baptized, taught me to pray and continued to worship with me.  I still hang the Christmas stocking you made for me every Christmas.

 

Grandmother Eula and my Mother shopping in Portland, OR

Mother, thank you for teaching me manners, a lost art that I have passed on to my sons.  I still walk on the outside to protect my wife from getting splashed from passing cars.  Thank you for writing to me while I was in uniform.  If it wasn't for you and my father, I wouldn't have received any letters.  I will always feel bad for ruining your night of cards when I dropped the hatchet on my foot and cut off my toenail.  I think you got to the hospital faster than I did.

Thank you Mother for raising my three wonderful brothers.  You supported John through the really hard times, when no one understood his Cerebral Palsey.  You loved Dan through every wild hair he had.  You gave me my youngest brother, Phil, when I was only 15; and taught me how to take care of a baby.  A lesson I used when I had my own children.

You gave me my heritage and a membership in the First families of Tennessee. (and that's an inside joke that only you and I understand...who needs those old bitties in Virginia anyway)

I love you Mother, and I miss you.

 

Willamette NationalCemetery, Portland, Oregon

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow David!!! What a beautiful entry!!!! Your mother sure was one special person and I know you miss her dearly!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

sounds like your mother did a wonderful job of raising you and your brothers, I know your proud.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic tribute to an obviously wonderful woman that you were lucky enough to have as your mum.  It brought tears to my eyes.  Eve( short for Evelyn)

Anonymous said...

How beautiful.  The tears are flowing.  Maybe your mom and mine are having tea together today!  Beautiful tribute.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful, David!  Your mom had to be one special lady to have raised such a fine son.  I'm sure she's still with you.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to your momma!  hugs!  My family just happens to be a first family of Tennessee too.  Imagine that.  : ) GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry, and tribute to your mom.  Sounds like an amazing woman. Hugs,
Dwana

Anonymous said...

that was a wonderful tribute to your mother david thank you for shairing it with us she sounds like a lovely lady :)
take care
emily

Anonymous said...

How lovely to remember your mother in this way. She was beautiful, as was your Gran.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

What a loving tribute to your mother and thank you for sharing those great pics! From what I've read your mother is looking down at you beaming with pride! god bless Vicky

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, David!  Hope it's a good one for you!  Chris

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, David!  Hope it's a good one for you!  Chris

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday dear David Happy Birthday to you :) Hope you like my singing lol

Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi David!

First time to your journal.  Chris sent me to wish a HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!  Oh, I don't think you really want me to "sing" it! lol  That is a beautiful tribute to your Mother!  Your journal is just delightful!

Come visit me at mine!
Darlene

Anonymous said...

I dont know why I did not get an alert on this entry.
Beautifully written, you were blessed with what sounds like a wonderful mother who gave a memorable childhood.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Well written tribute to your mother, David! Thank you for sharing these thoughts about your mother. SHe looks so young in the photo.. is that you? How cute! bea

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful entry, David.  Well Written!

Blessings!~
Susan

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful tribute to what sounds like a very classy lady, who raised a real gentleman.  Very touching entry.

~~Katie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute.  She certainly gave you a wonderful foundation.  You've made her proud, there are no doubts.    

Anonymous said...

From your description, she was a Mother in the image that God intended Mothers to be!  Beautiful tribute to her.

Anonymous said...

Valuable resource of help wanted news summaries:  http://ng2000.com/ng2000bb/YaBB.pl?num=1221635026