Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Stars

 

Milo and I left for our morning walk around 7:15  this morning.  We stopped at the Sunshine School House and raised the flag, honored those on our list and continued our walk.  Bob stopped the school bus and said "Hi".  He said he had a good weekend, threw Milo a treat and then continued his journey.  Just as we were approaching the fork, we hear a strange, loud noise of a vehicle.  Around the corner, on the paved road came a road grader.  When he passed us, the driver slowed down and waved.  He said the was doing the preliminary work for the "dust barrier", a liquid the county roads department puts down to control the dust on our dirt road.  Milo and I returned home to start our day of "guarding the house" and working.

My friend Inger knows of my interest in astronomy.  At this altitude, we have a clear view of the heavens almost every night.  We can clearly see the Milky Way.  This morning she sent me a very interesting article.

Something remarkable is about to happen in the evening sky. Three planets and a star cluster are converging for a close encounter you won't want to miss.

The action begins at sundown on Wednesday, May 31st, when the crescent Moon glides by Saturn. You can see them side-by-side about halfway up the western sky, shining through the glow of sunset--very pretty.

see captionGot a backyard telescope? Point it at the Moon. You'll see craters and mountains casting long shadows. Next, look at Saturn. The planet's rings will take your breath away. Also, look around Saturn. There's a star cluster! Saturn is sitting right next to "the Beehive," a swarm of stars 600 light years from Earth.

Right: Saturn and the Beehive star cluster. Photo credit: Jimmy Westlake ofYampa, Colorado.

This three-way convergence marks a spot in the sky you should watch as June unfolds, because things are about to get even more interesting.

After May 31st, the Moon moves away, leaving Saturn and the Beehive behind. Keep an eye on Saturn every night. Before long you'll notice a dim red star approaching the ringed planet. That "star" is Mars. Every night it creeps closer to Saturn.

For the entire article visit: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/30may_starsandplanets.htm?list96909

By reading others journals, it sounds like everyone had a safe Memorial Day Holiday.  Here in Sunshine we had several afternoon picnics and gatherings. You could hear the "clanging " of horse shoes all over the hills.

My MIL and FIL are in Georgia.  She is doing as well as can be expected. We are forever grateful for your continued prayers.

The band's gig went well on Friday night.  We packed the place.  Unlike our last gig there, we ran out of time before we ran out of music. (That's a good thing)

Smiles, David

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting read! :)
Blessings, Sugar

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to get a telescope. I can't see many stars here in good 'ol New York. I bet your sky is breathtaking. Thanks for the article
~ Marina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the interesting sky info.... glad you had a nice holiday too. Sandra

Anonymous said...

oh crap i forgot about the band thing:( next time remind me ok glad you had a good weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...

funny you should talk about the stars the other night tony told me to go find the big dipper because he had just been looking at it a few hours before.
made me tear up but at the same time it was neat to know he just had saw it
hope all is well.
ttyl
emily

Anonymous said...

I'll have to let Becky know about this; she may already.  She is really into astronomy although living so close to the city makes it almost impossible for her to see anything but she does have a telescope.  LOL...I could use some of that liquid dust barrier in my lane and parking area.  I blew in from work with a ton of dust following me.  Chris

Anonymous said...

well maybe It was you playing on Friday, I sure had a good time. LOL. Yes it's always a good thing to pack em in. I hope you and Milo had a great day.

Anonymous said...

Hi David !!!!!!!! This entry is interesting. I didn't look at the stars tonight though. I wish I were in your neck of the woods for the picnics and gatherings. I think the sound of the " clanging " of the horse shoes would be wonderful to me. You make me wish I could move to Sunshine, Colorado. Its so hot here in Georgia I could use a day in Colorado its getting sweltering here. We need some rain right now which all of this heat. Where in Georgia is Mi and Fil are they in my neck of the woods ??? I wish I could have been there to hear the band I'm sure it was nice. I would have enjoyed hearing your band play. Take care David. Bye for now.

Anonymous said...

My prayers for your MIL are going up right now.  My FIL and MIL are both going downhill fast.  It pains me to no end to see them go down so.  My former BIL whom I am still very close to just had another stroke.  Please keep him in your prayers.

Blessings!~
Susan

Anonymous said...

This was so interesting!!  Thanks for sharing the info with all of us.  Congrats on your band doing so well.  Bet that was a lot of fun that night!

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good gig! Never much into astronomy love star gazing though my Anthony will probably be the astrologer he walks around with his beloved rubber stars everywhere we go lol

Anonymous said...

Coming upon the weekend. Wanted to say howdy & hope you have a good one!
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your view of the night sky!! I love looking at the stars and finding the constellations, and other cosmic objects... never very dark here, and when it is (in the winter the sky is clearest), the trees are so close to my home and yard, that we can see straight up and a few degrees in every direction, but visibility is cut off after that. sounds like you had a wonderful viewing, and will continue to have throughout June. Havea  great week! bea