Saturday, August 2, 2008

And the summer continues...

Phil inside the Snowbound Mine

Milo and I arose for an early breakfast and then took our usual morning walk.  This morning we pulled out the large (4'X6') cotton flag.  We only fly it on special occasions like Sundays, holidays and funeral days.  Today it is flying at half-staff until noon in honor of our friend and neighbor, Phil Hannum.  Phil, like myself, was a native of Wyoming.  During his working career, he was a real estate developer.  Phil died recently and his memorial service is this afternoon (4PM).  The service is being held at the Snowbound Mine.  Phil has owned the mine for many, many years.  It was a project he held near and dear to his heart.  The Snowbound was an active gold mine up to the time it locked it's doors in 1935 .  All the mining was closed down in order to move all the resources to the war effort.  When you walk into the building, it looks just like it did in 1935. 


The calendar hasn't been touched and all of the working clothes are still hanging on their hangers.  Phil's dream was to turn it into a museum.  Rest peacefully Phil.

 


Upcoming events are brunch at Doug and Mary Ann's house (tomorrow), the Arts and Crafts fair at the school house and then the community fest at the fire house.  I'll post the dates soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP Phil Hammon. Sounds like your summer is full of great events, David. Enjoy, in whichever way.

Anonymous said...

My sympathy to you for the loss of your friend.

What a wonderful memory to leave behind. I would love to see that museum.
Take Care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Phil.  You made this post on my birthday.  Cool Beans.  I am a history buff.  I love stories like this.  I love arts and crafts fairs too.  Wish I could have been there.  I always enjoyed the 4th of July parade and festivities in Palmer Lake.  It was always a big to-do there.

Have a great week!~

Susan