Friday, July 28, 2006

Just a brief note

 

How would you like to look out your window as see this in your yard?  It doesn't look like Ol' Sarge cared much about the bear climbing out of the pool.  My neighbor, Ruby sent this to me.

Things are pretty quiet in Sunshine.  Milo and I enjoyed our morning walk and only saw two cars.  We are ever vigilant.  We finish our out bound walk at Ruby's house and return by the same path.  You never know when the friendly neighborhood bear will show up.  It's a cool 81 degrees today.  A far cry different from the 100+ degrees down the hill in Boulder.  Sunshine is a great place to get away from the heat.  I have been sleeping outside on the deck for the last week or so. (No, I'm not in the dog house) I have noticed an increased activity in the number of "shooting stars".  Could we be approaching another meteor shower?  I'll bet so!  Our sky is so clear that even the big dipper gets lost in all the stars.  The Milky Way can easily be seen on any clear night.  Little wonder I have become a star watcher. 

LUNAR IMPACTS: There's a meteor shower on the Moon tonight. Like Earth, the Moon is inside the Delta Aquarid meteoroid stream. Unlike Earth, however, the Moon has no atmosphere to shield it. Meteors on the Moon hit the ground and explode. (continued below)


"Keeping an eye on the Moon." Photo credit: Jimmy Westlake. July 27, 2006.

Some of the impact flashes might be visible from the earth. When the sun goes down tonight, train your telescope on the crescent Moon.  Look left of the crescent where the lunar terrainis dark. Split-second flashes of light could signal Delta Aquarids hitting the ground.

 Well, I have rambled on enough for today.

May the Lord be with each and everyone of you out there in J-land.

Smiles,

David

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pic of Sarge & bear! LOL
Hope you have a fun weekend.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine such a thing. Wow!
~ Marina

Anonymous said...

David, that bear is awesome !! Could you imagine if I saw it here on Long Island !!!
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a picture.  The bear seems to be ignoring 'Ole Sarge, too!
Lori

Anonymous said...

nice pictures. Yep if I saw that bear I would run so fast. LOL. I'm happy your not in the dog house.

Anonymous said...

thank goodness all we get out here is an occasional racoon I don't think I could deal with bears Vicky

Anonymous said...

that bear looked like he was having a nice time in the pool!
lol!
hope you stay cool
have a good weekend
emily

Anonymous said...

Loved the bear picture; a little too close for me though; hoping for a peaceful weekend for you, David

betty

Anonymous said...

LOL...David, that is definitely one creature I wouldn't want to see climbing out of my pool.  Hope he had a nice cooling dip.  Also glad you'e just watching the stars and not in the dog house.  Continued prayer for Audie and your family.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Well we most definatley do not get bears here but we do get very viscious and agressive coyotes that unfortunatley kill neighboorhood pets.  All part of nature I suppose, after all they were here first.  Happy star gazing!

Kara

Anonymous said...

Glad to have stumbled upon your journal.  It looks nice with a lot of adventuresome entries and photos.  I will come back and visit.  Have always wanted to visit Colorado and just have never made it.  It's so far from Tennessee.
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Oh man, 81 degrees!  We have had ungodly heat here in the deep south.  Finally, today we got a reprieve.  We have had thunderstorms all day, which have cooled things off considerably, but temps are supposed to start climbing back up tomorrow.  ::sigh::  It is so humid here, you could cut the air with a knife sometimes (well, that is what it feels like!!!!).

Love the bear photo.  I got to see one out my back door when we lived in Palmer Lake.

Blessings!~
Susan
http://journals.aol.com/Rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle/

P.S.  Have I said how much I miss living in that beautiful state?  I SOOOOOOOO MISS LIVING IN COLORADO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

On Friday, the 28th, I did sit outside after midnight looking up for the meteors that I had read about. We have some light pollution in our neighborhood, so if there were any to be seen, we probably wouldn't have seen them. About midnight, or so, lightning flashed continuously from the east, north, and west... and clouds filled the sky for several hours. Gave up looking by 1:30 am. Bet you had a good view. Should be still visible throughout July, which means one more day, but I'm not going to bother. At night, our skies are filled with clouds... evening showers are common now, and humidity is high. I'm in NC. bea

Anonymous said...

I`m too scared of the bugs and critters to sleep on any deck!
Penny

Anonymous said...

Had to show me that bear huh????  talk about irrational fears....only bears here are in the Brookfield Zoo......in the wild, I'd be a goner for sure! lol