Thursday, July 20, 2006

Morning drive

 

My youngest son, Mike, is taking a summer school class.  It starts at 7:30 in the morning and ends at 12:30.  The classes are held at Fairview High School on the south end of Boulder.  That's not bad but, it is a 35 minute drive each way, twice a day. My lovely wife, Janice, works for the Boulder County School District and has the summer off.  Until recently,Jan has been the one to take Mike up and down the hill to school.  She is a true angel.  She has been maintaining a 24 hour vigil since her mother came home from the hospital.  More on that in another post.

Janice is not leaving the house so the job of taking Mike to school is mine, all mine.  Keep in mind, I usually raise the flag at 7:30.  Not now.  I'm 18 miles away, in Boulder at 7:30.  I am now raising the flag on my return trip home.  In the Army we honored the colors at 8AM.  I guess I am back in unison with the Army.  The colors are being raised in Sunshine, Colorado at 8AM. 

So where does that leave my o' buddy Milo?  Home sitting in the driveway without his morning walk.  He is not a happy camper.  This morning as I started down the driveway I looked a Milo.  He had on his "sad puppy face".  Those sad eyes and droopy ears, tail hanging down... melted me.  I stopped the car, opened the back door and said "come on boy"!  Two bounces and he was in the back seat.  Mike and I rolled down the rear windows and listened to Milo's tail beat against the seat.  All the way to school he had his head out the window.  He did not bark once, even as we passed other dogs.  What a trooper.  Several of the other drivers took a moment to say "HI" to my puppy dog.  His tail just kept wagging.  As we approached the house I had but one thought........."I wonder how long it will take me to wash the windows?"

Last weekend was a very busy weekend.  FAC was a big success.  Carrie and Alex had their wedding up on the hill (the band played well into the darkness).  The newspaper published an article on what a great cycling road we have up here.  They failed to mention the bears and the mountain lion.  And Tyler Hamilton, our neighbor who is an Olympic Gold medalist and world renowned cyclist sponsored a bicycle race up Sunshine Canyon.  I wonder what this weekend will bring.  FAC anyone?

Keep the prayers coming for Audie.  Hospice is here everyday.  She has been receiving a few guests.  Dennis and Suzie will be home from Hawaii this weekend.  She will have all of her children with her.

Smiles,

David

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great going Milo! Get in that back seat every morn!!!!!!!!
Will be continuing to pray for your household dear friend.
God Bless,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

It will be nice and comforting to have the whole family around.  Our prayers are with you.  Beautiful family picture you have posted here!  Just think, at 8am in CO, it's already 11am in NC....YOU'RE LATE raising the colors!! LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute about Milo; Koda just loves car rides. I ask him "do you want to take a car ride" and ears perk up and he goes to wear his leash is. I think they like to go out and see the world.

prayers still being prayed for Audie and you all.

betty

Anonymous said...

Prayers going up for Audie:) i am glad her whole family will be together. Its so hard..... you made good time with the traffic in boulder what a nightmare it has become lol did you get the rain? take care my friend also praying for all of you

Deb

Anonymous said...

Very nice picture!  Sorry you have to give up your morning walk with Milo for a while, but it's good that you're able to do that so your wife can stay home.  Glad you MIL is able to have some visitors, and that she'll soon have all her children with her.  My thoughts are with you.
Lori

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying believe me. I just lost my dad on July 1 and it is so hard. Hospice was there for him which I know helped.  The wedding sounded just lovely. Milo he is just to cute. He loves being with you to raise that flag even though it at 8 now. He just wants to be with you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the family will be together. And how happy Milo is to have a car ride instead of his usual walk !
Take Care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

It will be good for your MIL to have her family around her during this difficult time. Lovely photo up top. Milo sounds like a sweet dog. Have a great weekend,
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

What a great picture! JP wrote his LA paper about Mike. I'll try to get a copy for you guys. It was really cute--some memories from when they were toddlers. --Love to all of you, especially Audie!

Inger

Anonymous said...

I am praying for Audie...

And, I am so happy that Milo is enjoying the commute too!!!  

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Audie.  But it will be nice for you and your son to have those "Father Son" drives every day.

Kara

Anonymous said...

Hello David. How interesting. I have been very busy lately and I am guilty of failing to send you a comment. The Tomatoes take up a lot of my time and strenght  . But I promise you that I am goin to do better.

                                               DAD

Anonymous said...

Your wife is lovely, David.  Nice picture with the ocean in the background.  Poor Milo...lol...they sure don't like a change in their routine.  I will keep Audie and Janice and all of you in my prayers.  Chris

Anonymous said...

It's nice that you are allowing your lady to "sleep in" while you take Mike to class. She'll be a nicer person through out the day than if you didn't, just think of it that way. :-D

Glad to hear all is well on your side of the Mississippi.

Smiles,
Amanda :)

Anonymous said...

What a nice picture of the 3 of you! I`m glad Milo got to ride with you guys. My dog barks out the window at everyone. What a spectacle she makes of herself...embarrassing!
My prayers go out to your MIL. I hope she is comfortable and I know she will like having all her children nearby.
Hugs,
Penny
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I love the pic of you and your wife and son, what a lovely family!  The story about Milo was cute.....I was smiling while reading it.  I'm so sorry about Audie, it is such a difficult thing to go through, for not only the person who is ill, but also for the loved ones. Having all her family around her must bring great comfort to her.  Keeping her and your family in my prayers.

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the pic.  It is an awesome pic.  I love the seashore.  My Mom grew up in Georgetown, S.C.  We always went there for vacation and would always go to the beach.  Poor Milo.  I am sure he doesn't understand what is going on.

Again, my condolences to you all on your loss.

Blessings!~
Susan