Monday, April 17, 2006

The bears are out!

 

Einstein and his mom

No more sleeping for the bears.  We have had a period of sixty degree plus weather so I guess they figured it was time to end their winter nap.  I'm sure they are very hungry.  The dogs are acting differently and they are very vocal.

Milo and I started out for our walk at 7:10 this morning.  We raised the flag as usual.  I read the names on my list.  Steve and Julies dog, Maui joined us in the flag ceremony.  Their other dog, Plato, joined us later.  We made it to the fork.  Milo sat and waited for his treat.  The new neighbors in the new house at the fork have a dog (like who up here doesn't).  They acquired it at the pound.  It is missing one hind leg.  It's name is Scooter.  Go figure.

Bob stopped the school bus, threw Milo a treat and we talked.  Most of the time, we chat about something or another.  This morning we talked about the mountain lion  (AKA couger) attack on an seven year-old boy on one of the trails a short distance from Boulder.  The wildlife management team found the lion and put it down.  I hate seeing that but it has to be done.  The boy is doing well.  Bob asked me if I had seen any lions.  I told him about my sightings.  I told him to talk to our mayor, Chris about the lions.  I am not too worried.  The lions do not like to be around humans.  Deer meat tastes better, I'm sure!   Besides, Milo would let me know if one was near.  He won't even go outside if there is one around.

On the return trip we met Sara and her dog.  Riley is its name.  Riley is becoming much more friendly.  Especially now that I give it a treat every time I see it.  Sara walked with me for a while and we chatted.  It's nice to get to know the new neighbors.  It also gave the new dog (Riley) a chance to feel more comfortable around Milo.

We hope you had a nice Easter or Passover, which ever you celebrate.  We had an Easter egg hunt yesterday.  Janice hid candy, money and lottery tickets in the eggs.  All the kids are in high school or older now so the hunt has taken on a different view.  It was kind of funny watching all the adults looking for Easter eggs.  72 degrees today, 40's tomorrow with a chance of snow.

Sunshine Firehouse Flapjack Fling!!

Sunday, April 23

PANCAKES, BACON, SAUSAGE

COFFEE, TEA JUICE

9-11 a.m.

Adults - $5 - Kids under 12 - $3

Breakfast followed by a

COMMUNITY MEETING - 11:30 a.m.

Are you a Turtle?

Keep Smiling,  David

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lions and tigers and bears!!!! oh no!!!!! LOL..... do you live in the wizzard of oz David? LOL.... be safe on your walk!!!!! I wish I could take a walk with you!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

YBYSA lol yes sad about the boy and lion, but boulder has so many deer it was bound to happen:( gald easter was good for you. Yes Snow maybe a snow day (please lol) have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

and it wouldnt let me comment in your journal!  go figure huh?
hope you had a wonderful Easter as well.
I had to laugh, my moms dog that i grew up with is named Riley as well.  Hopefully they will get more friendly with time
take care
emily

Anonymous said...


David, I tried to leave a comment at your latest entry, but instead received an internal service error. I tried to report it as directed, but that didn't work either. So I'm letting you know... don't know if anyone else has had that problem.

I enjoyed reading about your walks and meeting the new neighbors and new dogs... it's always nice to make friends with the new dogs.

Sounds like Spring is on the way!!


Bea

Anonymous said...

Some people had a trouble leaving comments so I copied them.  This one was an IM from my friend, Chris.

Chris: (4:52:16 PM): btw, r u a turtle?
David: (4:53:10 PM): you bet your sweet ass I am!  I was just going to check to see if you answered in a comment  hehe
Chris: (4:53:51 PM): i saw it in your journal.  i did not answer there, so i asked here

So, for those of you who are Turtles, should I make him buy me a drink?

Anonymous said...

Those bears are really pretty.  LOL..sort of remind me of Grizzly whose given name is actually Grizzly Bear.  Glad the little boy is doing well.  Now, Janice has the right idea for an easter egg hunt...money and lottery tickets.  Were you lucky?  Chris

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could live where you are. If I saw a bear I would never go outside. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the bears.. I think you like in such a cool place.
Enjoy the beginning of spring..or the snow !!!!

Ellen
http://journals.aol.com/eml625/Onedayatatime

Anonymous said...

I just wrote some long winded comment, clicked save, and the dang computer locked up. . . geesh.

So now I gotta remember what I typed.

. . .
      ummm . . .

Forget it, you know the drill, bears scary, scooter funny, adults . . . easter egg hunts . . . you haven't upgraded to new hide and seek games like find the soap? hehe (that wasn't in my first comment.)

Take Care David!

Amanda :)
~♥ Put this in your comments if you'd take a bullet for Adam Dunn's ass ♥~

Anonymous said...

Reading your journal is like stepping into another world, David. I love the photos and your stories about the dogs. :)
Penny