Friday, April 7, 2006

Friday Morning walk

Milo and I started our walk at 6:45 this morning.  The air was perfectly calm.  It was like being in the eye of a storm, for all around us the clouds were churning.  We could see the moisture above us, but nothing was hitting the ground.  We walked to the school house and raised the flag.  This morning we decided to take a different route.  We walked up past the old school, behind the burnt out fire house, past the volleyball court and to the new firehouse.  We returned on our usual route.  There was no barking dog, even though I was prepared with doggy treats.  As we started up the driveway, the snow started falling.  It is a very soft, gentle snow.  A strange snow, contrary to the predictions;  strong winds and heavy snow.  It is 38 degrees and there is no wind.  The plains below us are getting hit with a Spring blizzard.

Sometimes it's nice to add a little variety to life.  I was once asked if I was afraid of change.  I replied that I do like some routine in my life. Then I was asked if I was happy with the amount of money I was making.  Of course, I said no, I wanted to make more.  Then this very wise man asked me "If you do not change anything, you will never make any more than you are now.  What are you going to change, that will give you the ability to make more money?"  Well, HELLO!!!!! It was like someone hit me in the forehead with a 2 X 4!

That little bit of advise made a major impact in my life.  It started out quietly and slowly.  I decided the next morning to take a different route to work.  I started reading about topics that were related to my job.  I took classes at the local community college and found myself obtaining a business degree.  Promotions followed and, of course I made more money.  So, let me ask you.  Are you happy with what you are doing?  If not, what are you going to do to change it?  If you are, congratulations!  Just remember, never stop learning.  The human brain is too magnificent to let go idol.

 

The Oregon coast, just south of Seaside.

I ran into our mayor, Chris, this morning.  He stopped to tell me a story.  While he was stopped at the bar last night enjoying a beer, the guy next to him was talking to the bartender.  Chris overheard the conversation.  The customer said he was really feeling down.  The bartender asked him why.  He said his wife had cut him off.  The bartender replied "Hummm, I see what you mean, she cut off two of my other customers too."

I always count on Chris to have a story or two.  Most of them I won't repeat in this forum.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very inspirational!  Love this entry.  I don't adapt to change very well but I do need some changes.  Does that make sense? Oh well.  Love the mayor's story!  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Hi David, it's taken me a long time but I'm happy now. I don't mind change as I believe things happen for a reason. If I don't like something then, yes, I will do positive things to make the changes. All mayors must have good stories because my parents know our mayor and he always has a tale or two for them !! Beautiful picture of the Oregon coast and your writing about your walk was lovely !
Hope you are having a good day
hugs ~x Debbie x~

http://journals.aol.com/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

I love my job, David, but you're right.... we should never stop learning.  Sometimes I do feel a bit stagnant.  I will have to ponder your entry here for awhile...

Hope you and yours have a wonderful weekend, David..and thank you so much for all your prayers and support during this trying time in my life..

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

LMAO too funny Yes change is always good but some people are scared of it why  nothing to be afraid of. Life will go on :) thanks for sharing

Deb

Anonymous said...

Funny Mayor !!!
Thanks for the insipiring words.

Ellen

Anonymous said...

man i need to get back to school....soon as tony gets back
:)
thank you for your kind words and support earlier
it really helps
take care
Emily

Anonymous said...

Such wise advice, David.  I think my problem when I was younger was that I was terrified of change.  Definitely held myself back.  I've lived and learned.  Career wise, not a whole lot of changes but "life" wise, numerous changes which have definitely improved my life.  Chris

Anonymous said...

love the comment at the bottom...lol I am starting to miss the snow already...lol  I helped friends move into their first home yesterday, and it was warm!  I was thinking after I got home, kicked off my shoes, and was sitting on the backporch how much I would miss the cool weather...then not seconds later a huge rainstorm..with hail came in.  Cooled everything down...I know I had no control over this...but for a moment it was nice to think I did...lol  Take care,
Dwana

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful picture. I agree with your comments about life.  

Anonymous said...

Dave, recently I had to rethink what I wanted out of my job. It wasn't more money, though. In my profession, teaching, which I love by the way, I certainly would love more money to make up for the hours I put into the work. Still, I've been restless this year, and looking for a change that staying where I am would not provide. So I put in for a transfer this year. I'll get the change I need by going to a new school, with new teachers, new principal, new students. A whole new environment from which I will learn new teaching strategies surrounded by new faces. I am somewhat anxious, very excited. The uncertainty of what will happen next year is a stimulator... I agree with you, we need to keep learning. I need to grow in another direction. I made the decision just last week... this is new news! In fact, first time I mentioned it online. Bea

Anonymous said...

Hello.........As you might not know I have enjoyed your journal very much. It was always nice to read about your walks. I am sad to report that pretty soon I will be leaving AOL but for now I am still at AOL. I will be moving to Bellsouth. My new e-mail address is ........... Southernmush@bellsouth.net

I hope to hear from you again soon.. It will be sad for me when my service with AOL is over because that means my time at J-Land will end. I am leaving AOL for money reasons. I have come to make a lot of friendships with all of you here at J-Land including yourself. It will be sad when I won't be able to read journals such as yours at J-Land. I will miss all of you. Take care and thanks for allowing me to read your journal.