Thursday, April 20, 2006

Thursday morning walk - Lyrid Meteor shower

Milo and I started down the driveway at 7:10 this morning.  It was bright and crisp.  We put the flag up and remembered all of the people on my list.  I know I am missing one person I promised to add to my list.  Please let me know who it is.  Those remembered are:

My father, Col D.J. Wheeler

My BIL, Mark, currently in Iraq

Chester

DJ

Emily's husband, Tony, currently in Iraq

Emily's father

Don Trickey

Jeremy Allen

Andrew's brother, MIA, Iraq

Spc. Matt Maupin  MIA, Iraq (Thanks Amanda for reminding me)

All of the British troop currently serving in Iraq

The families of all the troops who have died in Iraq, both American and British

Milo and I continued our walk.  This morning we saw Milo's friends:  Thor, Saga, Maui, Plato, Riley, Nuka and Scooter.  We have a neighbor who is intimidated by Milo so I had to keep him on a leash.  Bob stopped the bus and reminded us that there is NO school tomorrow, so we will see him again on Monday.

When I returned to my desk, I had a note from Inger.

"Earth is about to pass through the dusty tail of Comet Thatcher, and this will cause the annual Lyrid meteor shower. Forecasters expect the shower to peak on April 22nd, producing about 10 meteors per hour--modest, but pretty. The best time to look is during the hours before sunrise on Saturday morning. Go to a dark site away from city lights, if possible.

The Moon will also encounter the comet's tail on April 22nd, which raises an interesting possibility: Amateur astronomers may be able to spot flashes of light on the Moon when comet debris hits the lunar surface and explodes. All that's required is a backyard telescope and lots of patience.

Visit Spaceweather.com for details, sky maps and observing tips."

We live far away from the city lights and usually have a very good view of such events.

Sunshine Firehouse Flapjack Fling!!

Sunday, April 23

PANCAKES, BACON, SAUSAGE

COFFEE, TEA JUICE

9-11 a.m.

Adults - $5 - Kids under 12 - $3

Breakfast followed by a

COMMUNITY MEETING - 11:30 a.m.

I just received a Syrah wine list from my uncle at the Gem Wine Cellar.  He recommends:

Billi Billi Shiraz 2002  Australia
Eagle  & Rose Estate 2000 Napa Valley
Jeriko 2002  Mendocino County
Barrel Monkeys  2004 Shiraz  Australia
Fort Walla Walla 2002 Columbia Valley, WA
Justin 2001 Mendocino Valley

Smiles, David

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spc. Matt Maupin?!? The unaccounted for soldier in Iraq since April 04 . . .

I don't know if that was who you were thinking of.

No treat tomorrow . . . what? Poor Milo . . . :-/

Amanda :)

Anonymous said...

Wow meteor showers!!! I hope I can see it!!! I will be working that night and I work in the city!!! Thanks for passing that along to us David!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

Hi David, thank you for remembering the British in your list, I was very touched :-) On another note, meteor showers !!! wow amazing, I am using your link to find out more ~ thank you :-)
hugs Debbie ~xxx~
http://journals.aol.com/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

man that flapjack fling sounds so good :(
i wish i were closer, can we mail that or do you think it would go bad, lol!
ttyl
emily

Anonymous said...

Your list is such a special way to honor people you care about.

Take Care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

can you add dorns son Gabe he is in iraq and my grandpa who is deceased Thomas Riley thank you also how about all who are serving right now

Deb

Anonymous said...

A neighbor who is intimidated by Milo? I can`t imagine!
Penny
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

So nice of you to remember those folks serving or that have served!  Awesome.  And even though I live smack dab in the middle of the city, I am going to try and view the meteor shower.  I always do.  My family thinks I'm nuts setting up camp in a lawn chair in the front yard in the middle of the night.  lol  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the shower, these dang city lights. Lucky! :)
Have a great weekend. Delaine

Anonymous said...

Your neighbor must be afraid of all dogs in general.  I can't imagine anyone would be intimidated by Milo unless they had a bad experience with a dog.  Becky is my big meteor fan.  She will have trouble viewing it in Pgh.  We may be able to see some of it here since we are rural.  Chris

Anonymous said...

it's almost time for that pancake breakfast. Have a good time.  Milo sure has a lot of friends. My dog is so cute and he wouldn't hurt anyone but he's afraid of his own shadow.

Anonymous said...

Hi David.............I enjoy coming to read your journal. I wish I were there in your neck of the woods so I could come to the Sunshine Firehouse Flapjack Fling it sounds exciting and the food would be great. I love pancakes, bacon and sausage I really wish I could be there. I would really like to be there but I won't be able to make it. Please enjoy it for me and share it with us in your journal that way at least I could be there in a certain way.....I love things like that.  I would love to take a walk through a wine cellar that would be another favorite activity for my family and I. My mom and dad would love to do that. I wish my family and I were there in your town that would be fun. Thanks for sharing this.......If only I could be there. Take care.