Monday, January 16, 2006

The analemma

 

 

Picture from August 2003 Astronomy magazine   

      As Milo and I walk every morning, we are noticing the change of the sun's position in the morning sky.  The pattern the sun follows is called the analemma.  If you were to stand at the same spot, in this case, the Tholos in Delphi, Greece and take a picture of the sun every morning, this is the pattern you would see.  The analemma is seen as a figure-8 loop, as a result of the tilt of the earth on it's axis and it's elliptical orbit around the sun.  Today's walk was cold and blustery.  It was snowing and Milo stayed close by.

     Audie finished her 6th session of Chemo therapy.  The Doctors finally have it adjusted so she is not so sick.  I know she is feeling better because she is complaining about being able to smell the food cooking but can't taste a thing.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

no photo :( glad MIL is feeling better

Deb

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you get to observe this on your daily walks.
My prayers are w/ Audie, glad she isn't as ill w/ the last of the chemo.
Sunday, here in Denver, Go Broncos!!!Delaine

Anonymous said...

I never know that about the analemma; thanks for the astronomy lesson. Glad MIL is doing better.

no snow here in my part of Montana; just blustery wind.

betty

Anonymous said...

David,

How interesting!  I never knew about an analemma.  I do know that I drive home the same way, every day, all year round, and I know that sun moves because it get's in my eyes at certain times of the year, more so than others.  Sometimes it will be to the right of me, then to the left, and then smack dab in front of me, blinding me, nearly half way home from work!  I mean, I know the earth rotates around the sun, and turns on it's axis too, so it all makes sense, I had just never heard of an analemma.  

I love learning new things!  Thanks! :)

jackie

Anonymous said...

That was very interesting.  I've never heard of the analemma. By reading your other comments, I see that Audie is your MIL. Well, I 'm glad the Chemo did not make her sick. What kind of Cancer does she have??
Have a great day.
Ellen

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about the analemma although my son did.  LOL...he seems to have many of the same interests you have.  Glad things are going better for your MIL.  Saying my prayers for her.  Chris

Anonymous said...

interesting. I always like to learn more about astronomy.

love,
Meg

Anonymous said...

It was very intersting reading about the Analemma. I used to go to the Science center a lot... this makes me want to start going back again.  I enjoy learning new interesting things like this. You never know when we may be on Jeopardy!!!
       ~~Katie