Monday, January 30, 2006

Milk bottles

 

The gate to Camp Jack west of Cheyenne, East of Laramie, Wyoming

When I was growing up in the 1950's, we would have our milk delivered to the house.  The milk man would deliver the milk early in the morning.  He would place it in a box by the back door.  The milk was delivered in a glass bottle with a paper cap on the top.  The color of the cap would indicate what was in the bottle.  We would drink the milk, wash the bottle and return it to the box.  The milk man would visit us once a week.

The dairy came up with a unique way to let the milk man know what kind of milk we wanted to order.  It was a device that you would put into the top of an empty bottle.  It had rotating colored tabs.  The color of the tab would represent the different kinds of milk or dairy products.  If we needed two quarts of milk, would put up two white tabs marked "1 Qt. Milk:.  If we needed a 1/2 pint of cream, we would put up the yellow tab marked "1/2 pint cream".

Every now and then, I would I would put up the brown one marked "1 Qt. Chocolate Milk".  I don't think Mom ever figured out which of us three boys did it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you were as ornry as i am you sly fox you!
love your son Mike

Anonymous said...

LOL what a character you were or should i say are lol

Deb

Anonymous said...

how cute!

That was a neat picture you bosted; very beautiful scenery.

I remember milk being delivered to our house too when I was growing up. There are a few milk delivering businesses here where I currently live. Now that the kids are grown, we don't drink as much milk, but I did enjoy having it delivered especially on those snowy mornings

betty

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture David and great entry!!!! I bet you had something to do with the chocolate milk!!! lol......... http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

we had a milkman in the 50's too but before that we had our milk delivered at my Mom and Dads house when I was even younger and the best part was when the cream would freeze and lift that tab on top up and we would add sugar and have ice cream for breakfast... yum. Sandra

Anonymous said...

I hate milk, but milk in a bottle always looked so good.
Cute, little chocolate milk trickster. Delaine

Anonymous said...

Love the picture, David.  Aw yes, I do remember the milkman and the bottles with the caps.  Never had the colored tabs, though.  That was unique and also very clever of you to change it.  Chris

Anonymous said...

What a sneaky way to get some chocolate milk! lol  

I grew up in the 50's too, but we never had our milk delivered.  Maybe they didn't do that in California... who knows?  I always remember my mom going to the store for our milk.  I do remember her purchasing bread from the Helms Bakery truck though?  Do you remember that?  Did they have one of those out in your neck of the woods?

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Great picture. And I was wondering if you could get chocolate milk, but you saved that part for the end!!

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Great picture. I bet your mom knew.
Shadie

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh! I remember that well! I was born in 1954, so I know that routine good.
~Diane~http://journals.aol.com/dizarra/StorysFromtheCityTalesFromtheSea