Sunday, December 18, 2005

Christmas 1953...The first time I saw the real Santa

 

This is the picture my father put on our family Christmas card 1953.  I remember waking up hearing the sound of sleigh bells.  My mother knitted the Christmas stockings for the three boys.  Mom kept them until she died.  I still hang mine by the chimney, in her memory.

The house is full of the smell of Christmas cookies.  This afternoon the Sunshine ladies are meeting for their annual cookie exchange.  The guys are NOT invited.  That's OK because a huge plate of mixed cookies will return home!  Mary is hosting the party this year.  2PM, mountain time.  The cookies will be home about 5.   Yum, Yum!

Deb's birthday party was a lot of fun.  Atrie played the piano and we sang Christmas carols.  3 of the 5 band (Blowtorch Hillbillys) members were there and expected to harmonize.  Now that was something to see.  hehehehe  There must have been at least 50 people in attendance.

CBS Sunday Morning had an interesting segment by Ben Stein.  It touched on the "Happy Holiday, Merry Christmas" issue.  Way to go Ben! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love Christmas Cookies!! Enjoy :)

Kara
"

Anonymous said...

Love the picture:) cookies yum yum the party sounded fun stay warm

Deb

Anonymous said...

Neat picture! Are you the youngest in the picture? What memories this must bring back. I think its neat to have a stocking that your mom knitted!

I think the men get the best part of the cookie exchange; no work, but they get to taste all the goodies! Enjoy.

betty

Anonymous said...

I love your old Christmas picture above.  I'm 52 so I have many of those around...lol  Don't you just love the smell of cookies baking?  Don't eat them all.
Chris

Anonymous said...

I remember 1953 being a very special year for me too!  It was the year I was born!  
Those were the days, weren't they David?  I mean really?  Weren't they? Sigh...

Jackie